Wireless Network not detecting

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by justsmokey, Jan 26, 2008.

  1. justsmokey

    justsmokey Guest

    I bought a new laptop that is running Vista. Before reading up on how to get
    it added into my XP network, I had already done some tweaking to my
    operational network that caused to go bust. So I re-created my wireless
    network using the Windows Wireless Network Wizard. When I open up the
    Wireless Network Connection Properties, I see both of the networks that I
    created, however, neither of them are found when I search for available
    wireless networks. I created one by using a USB jumper to add the computers
    and one with manual setup.

    I am running XP on both computers, and both cards are Belkin Wireless G
    Plus. The hardware shows no conflicts. At this point, I just want to get my
    XP network set back up and will worry about adding the Vista machine in
    another day.

    Anyone have some pointers for me?

    Thanks.

    Can anyone give me some pointers on what I need to do to get my network back
    up and running?

    justsmokey, Jan 26, 2008

  2. Hi
    Wireless is a replacement to Wire, that is all, No more, and No less.
    If your computers can access the Internet using the Wireless, then the
    Wireless is OK and should be left alone.
    As far as Networking between the computers, it is a matter of File and
    printer Sharing, and it the same configuration whether the computer’s
    Network connection is Wired or Wireless.
    May be this can Help you in the configuration.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 27, 2008

  3. justsmokey

    justsmokey Guest

    Yeah, I know that wireless is another version of wired. but I guess I didn't
    make it clear. My main computer, otherwise known as the "host" computer does
    not detect the wireless network , therefore I can not connect to it. Which
    means the "client" computers can not connect to the internet via the
    wireless network.

    The networks that I created using the Windows Wizard show up on the Wireless
    Network Connection Properties window, but indicate a big red X.

    What do I need to do to get either one of these to get acknowledged so that
    I can use the network to connect the "client" computers to the internet?

    I will however take into consideration the links you provided when I can
    finally get my network acknowledged to the point of being able to use it.

    justsmokey, Jan 27, 2008
  4. justsmokey

    Barb Bowman Guest

    which exact router? does it have WCN capabilities via a USB port?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jan 27, 2008
  5. Hi
    What exactly the Host computer is supposed to connect to?
    Put a side the client computers and configure correctly the "Host" computer
    to have a valid connection.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/html
    When the host works well on its own take the second step.
    I am not sure what the second step is since you did not explain how and to
    what the Clients are going to be connected.
    Try to explain in a concrete term how every thing is connected. Just stating
    the general term "connected" does not clarify the situation.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 27, 2008