Wireless Network and Wired LAN on different subnets

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by John Kotuby, Apr 27, 2005.

  1. John Kotuby

    John Kotuby Guest

    Hi all,
    I am in the position of being the "network admin" in a small shop of 20
    workstations and 4 servers, in addition to multiple other duties (including
    programming). I have no formal training in Windows networking but have
    gotten by so far with 1 Domain and one subnet on our Wired LAN.

    We recently added a FortiWIFI 60 network appliance that I have configured to
    work with the Wired LAN just fine. It acts as our Router, Firewall and DSL
    connection to the internet for our entire shop.

    The problem occurs when I try to connect a wireless laptop to the WLAN
    interface on the FortiWIFI.
    Fortinet does NOT allow the Wireless LAN and the Wired interface to be on
    the same subnet. Therein lies the problem (I think).

    After 2 hours on the phone with Fortinet tech support, I now have my
    wireless laptop connected to the network, can access the Internet and can
    only PING other machines on the wired LAN by IP address.

    However, I can't get the other wired computers to show up in Windows
    Explorer or network neighborhood.

    How do I reconcile 2 different subnets so that the wired computers show up
    in Windows Explorer on the wireless laptop and vice versa. It may be a
    simple thing for the MVPs, but I have not encountered this situation before,
    and I have a programming job due in 2 days and don't have a lot of time for
    "higher education".

    The primary DC is a Windows 2003 SBS.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    John Kotuby, Apr 27, 2005