Wireless network adapter only works on home network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have owned a thinkpad laptop (T41) running XP Pro for over 2.5 years.
    In the past month or so, I have been having a problem when traveling. Up to
    that time, I have always been able to connect to a wireless "hot spot".
    Lately, when I am in a hotel that offers wireless internet access, although
    my laptop can "see" the network as an available wireless network, i am unable
    to access the internet.
    When I go to command prompt and type "ipconfig/all", I get the following error
    message:"An internal error occurred. A device attached to the system is not
    functioning. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further
    help. Additional information: unknown media status code." Yet when I go into
    device manager, it says that my wireless network adapter is working
    properly. Today, I am at home and I am wirelessly retrieving files from my
    other
    computers and accessing the internet, but I just determined that I am getting
    the same error message as the one I typed above when I go into command
    prompt and type "ipconfig/all". Note that I am getting the message even
    though I am quite obviously connected to the network and am able to access
    the internet. My wireless adapter, which came with the laptop, is an intel
    pro/wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI adapter. I am not using this laptop in
    connection with a VPN
    Does this make sense to anyone?
    I need to leave for a business trip tomorrow and it is critical that I be
    able to access my email.

    Guest, Aug 9, 2007

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Jay,
    Go through these Cleaning steps:
    1... First, try to clean up your caches, Internet files and delete cookies
    by doing this:
    Click Start >> Control Panel >> Double click Network and Internet
    Connections >> Double click Internet Options.
    On the IE properties windows you will see these Taps:
    General | Security | Privacy | Content | Connections | Programs |
    Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies.
    Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option:
    [&] Browsing
    [ ] Enable Third-Party browser extensions (Req Rest) uncheck this box.
    Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non
    Verified Add-Ons (You should Renable them later one-by-one and see the
    culprit and update it or remove it.
    How to manage Add-Ons:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883256
    Scan for malware from here:
    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/default.htm?s_cid=sah
    http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-gb/default.htm
    Run a scan from here on-line:
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
    Download Avast Cleaner from here:

    Then Open a run command and type in [ you can copy & paste]:
    ipconfig /flushdns click [OK]
    ipconfig /renew click [OK]
    netsh winsock reset click [OK]
    Or you can repair the winsock from here:
    http://www.nasstec.co.uk/tools.html
    Open a run command type in:
    services.msc click [OK] and on services control panel make sure these
    services started Auto:

    Remote procedure call (RPC)
    Routing and Remote Access

    Reboot you machine, are you able to type in:
    cmd.exe click [OK] then on the prompt command type in:
    C:\>ipconfig /all <= Note the space between ipconfig_/all

    If you still cannot access the command try this:
    Click start >> Control panel >> Network and Internet Connections >> Network
    Connections >> Right click the wireless connection and select properties.
    On the Wireless properties click on General tab then highlight the Internet
    Protocol TCP/IP then click on properties, make sure the machine getting the
    IP address Auto and the DNS Auto too!.
    Click Advanced button click IP Settings Tab, make sure the DHCP Enabled and
    Automatic metric check box is checked.
    Click DNS tab, see these check boxes/Radio button:
    (*)Append Primary and connection specific DNS suffixes
    [ ] Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix.
    Click WINS, make sure the LMHOST is checked and the default radio for the
    NeTbios settings is checked.

    On the Internet Protocol TCP/IP properties click on Alternate configuration
    Tab and make sure the Automatic private IP address Radio button is checked.

    Another is to uninstall the TCP/IP and reinstall it:
    Reset TCP/IP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    How to uninstall and reinstall TCP/IP
    http://www.chicagotech.net/VPN/error720b.htm
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/helpdesk/selfhelp/netconnecttcpip.shtml

    HTH.
    nass

    Guest, Aug 10, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    THanks for your comprehensive response. I have printed your response and will
    do the steps that you outlined and will report back. Thanks again.
    chiefjay

    Guest, Aug 10, 2007
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Nass
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I performed each step serially. It
    turns out that my Routing and REmote Acesss box was set to "disabled". I am
    back home and able to access my home network and the internet, as always.
    Now, however, when I type "ipconig /all", I get the output that I expect.
    Thanks for your help !!!!

    Chiefjay

    Guest, Aug 11, 2007
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Try to run this:
    ipconfig.exe click [OK], does it help?.
    How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

    Search for the ipconfig.exe on your system:
    Mine all here:
    C:\Windows\Prefetch
    C:\Windows\System32
    C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\16b2..........19
    Finally you can run this command:
    sfc /scannow click [OK] you will need your XP CD installation media for
    this operation and it will take a while.
    HTH.
    nass

    Guest, Aug 11, 2007