    to get this route, rather than its installation inside the PC.

    Your imputs on this regard would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    MapleE., Nov 3, 2009

  2. MapleE.

    Daddy Guest

    The big consumer wireless hardware manufacturers have tutorials on their
    websites where you can learn a great deal about how to setup a home network,
    including what equipment to buy. Have a look at the websites for Dlink,
    Linksys and Netgear. Each manufacturer also has user forums where you can
    ask all your questions.

    Search the web with this as your search term...

    how do i setup a home network

    .... and you'll come across many helpful websites with loads of information
    at an introductory level.

    I did these things myself and found the information very useful.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Nov 3, 2009

  3. MapleE.

    MapleE. Guest

    Thanks for the response. Your suggestion going to the web-sites to gain a
    knowledge is a very good idea.

    In the past, I installed memory chips to two different PCs with XP/SP1 and
    worked very well after that. However, a friend of mine told me that
    installation of wireless card is completely different from memory chip
    installation. There needs some knowledge along with expertise poking around
    inside the PC. Then, I'm quite afraid whether I may tamper or break
    something inside.

    BTW, have you ever heard about a device similar to wireless-card that does
    not require to install internally? In my guess, external wireless card or
    similar. But again, he might mix it up for USB wireless adaptor that
    certainly needs wireless-card.

    Any suggestions are very grateful.

    Thanks,

    MapleE., Nov 3, 2009
  4. MapleE.

    Lem Guest

    Installing an internal wireless adapter (in a desktop computer) probably
    is *easier* than installing additional memory. However, wireless
    adapters that connect via USB are very common and in fact have some
    advantages over an internal wireless adapter.

    You can buy a USB adapter that looks like a "thumb drive," but the
    antenna of such devices will be a compromise. On the other hand, these
    are very compact, which might be an advantage is you're using a laptop
    that you have to carry around.

    I suggest that you buy a wireless adapter that connects to the computer
    with a USB cable. This will allow you to move the antenna around for
    better performance, especially if your desktop is pushed up against the
    wall under your desk.

    You also have to decide which wireless standard you want to use. If you
    are setting up your own wireless computer, be sure to match your
    wireless router with your wireless adapter. Although wireless-N has
    finally been ratified, it probably will be a while before public wifi
    "hot spots" migrate from wireless-G to wireless-N.

    Just as examples, here are the wireless adapters that Linksys currently
    is pushing: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/Adapters
    As you can see, they include USB "key" types, USB with cable, PC-Cards,
    and internal (PCI) cards.

    Similar products are available from D-Link, Netgear, and many more.
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=31&name=Wireless-Adapters

    Lem, Nov 3, 2009
  5. MapleE.

    Pavel A. Guest

    Have you considered also the power line LAN?
    It is very easy to setup and use for non-portable computers.
    Slightly more expensive than cheap USB dongles, but it is really easier and
    pays off.

    Regards,
    --pa

    Pavel A., Nov 3, 2009
  6. Hi
    If it is a desktop you want a Card that its Antenna can be placed above the
    system.
    This is a good choice,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315075
    It has an external Antenna that improves the signal and it comes with a USB
    extension cable that let you put the card above the system.
    The configuration is very simple since it is USB.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Nov 3, 2009