    Sorry if this has been covered before.
    many thanks

    Philippe

    Philippe Gautier, Sep 3, 2008

  2. Philippe Gautier

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    I wonder if you would be better off with a HomePlug solution, thick walls
    kill wireless signals very quickly.
    I got a pair of Devolo HomePlugs - a master and a WAP so I get the benefit
    of wireless without walls attenuating the signal.

    Jeff Gaines, Sep 3, 2008

  3. Philippe Gautier

    Ian Guest

    I would hold off getting the Homeplugs at the moment. OFCOM are already
    clamping
    down on people using them as there is no type approval and they are causing
    radio
    interference. They are illegal to own and operate in the UK, but OFCOM will
    not
    stop companies supplying them. Many people have hadthe homeplugs
    confiscated in
    return for not being prosecuted.

    You would be better buying a bigger aerial for the router. I got one that
    is about
    18inches tall from www.aria.co.uk - it gives another 3 bars on reception
    compared
    to the small aerial with the router.
    Power levels from routers are limited anyway, it's just sales talk that
    often misleads
    by using statements like "extra range" and "extra coverage". It's just a
    higher
    throughput of data because 2 or more channels are used at the same time to
    make the
    signal "wider". That leaves it open to interference from others nearby with
    a router.
    The wider the bandwidth of a signal the stronger it needs to be, so it will
    not go through
    thick walls any better than a narrow bandwidth, it will be worse.
    The only way to think of it is an FM stereo radio providing a hissing signal
    will often
    sound perfect in MONO. That's because you're comparing a wide and narrow
    bandwidth.
    Stick with G and get a bigger aerial for the router. Mine cost about £5 and
    works
    brilliantly from two floors away.

    Ian, Sep 3, 2008
  4. Philippe Gautier

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    That video is essentially a radio amateur flying a kite!

    There is a brief mention on the RSGB website:
    http://www.rsgb-region-12.org.uk/news.php?news_id=109

    which essentially says Ofcom aren't interested (although they have a duty
    to investigate individual cases of interference).

    I can't find any references to HomePlugs and type approval, not sure what
    is required - do you have any links?

    Jeff Gaines, Sep 3, 2008
  5. Thanks for all the comments, it gives me food for thoughts.

    Philippe Gautier, Sep 4, 2008