Wireless N router won't browse internet, but connects

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by turk, Nov 21, 2007.

  1. turk

    turk Guest

    Hello,
    I'm wondering if anyone can give me a helping hand? I've just upgraded
    my wireless network to Wireless N from G. I've had the wireless N router
    for a few months, but was using a wireless G adapter and had no problems.
    However, I just purchased a wireless N adapter and connected with that.
    Both are Linksys (WRT330N Gaming router, WUSB300N adapter). The adapter
    does allow a connection, and at very high speeds. However, it only works
    for gaming and things like that. For internet browsing or e-mail it is at
    best intermittent, and usually just flat out dead. The other issue is that
    I get pockets of lag when playing online games that render me basically
    frozen for about 20-30 seconds and then they clear up and I'm back to
    getting excellent pings. This is with Windows wireless zero configuration
    off, and with the Linksys configuration utility off or on. This is the
    second adapter (same type) that has done this, since I sent the first one
    back as defective. Linksys support has been unable to help me.

    I'm using Win XP w/ sp2. My computer is an Intel e6700 dual core, 8800GTX,
    2GB Ram, cable internet connection.

    Thanks for any help,
    turk

    turk, Nov 21, 2007

  2. Hi
    Internet Speed should not be affected by a change from G to N since G is
    usually faster than a regular Internet connection.
    Since the old G adapter is working well it means that something is Not
    compatible between your computer and the N adapter and Linksys should be
    able to resolve it or to take pt back, or try to ask for a N pci adapter as
    a replacement.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 22, 2007

  3. turk

    turk Guest

    Thanks for your help. Turns out, and this is from at least 5 hours of tech
    support at Linksys (3 were smart, 3 were idiots), I needed to install my
    wireless N adapter without the included software. In other words, I need to
    download the driver from the Linksys site, then let Windows recognize my
    "new hardware" and follow along with that and point it to the driver for
    installation. The actual drivers and the CD included with the Linksys
    WUSB300N adapter will just ruin your experience. Happy.

    I suppose I'm very relieved. But isn't that a bitch? What are the odds a
    normal network installing, occasional game-playing person goes to those
    lengths?

    Unbelievable...

    turk

    turk, Nov 22, 2007
  4. turk

    Lem Guest

    Turk -- for future reference, you might want to bookmark this site:
    http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php
    This is a site for/by *users* of Linksys equipment, and some of the
    people who inhabit the forums are quite knowledgeable.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Nov 22, 2007