    the actual capacity of a 2900 rated cell is higher than
    2900, EXCEPT there's still the self-discharge rate to offset
    that, and offset it severely over several weeks time.

    kony, Nov 27, 2006

  2. BestMouse

    Rod Speed Guest

    No one has ever said that.
    And has either not bothered to read any of the
    replys to its original post or has decided that it
    doesnt want to get involved in a mindless shit fight.

    Rod Speed, Nov 27, 2006

  3. BestMouse

    Mitch Crane Guest

    Here it is with a reasonable interpretation.
    So this person feels he is changing batteries too frequently. If you
    can't see this and think instead he's thinking in terms of milliamp
    hours and statitics then you are just being obtuse.
    This mentions rechargeable batteries. When he says he wants a new mouse
    because his mouse uses up batteries too fast he assumes correctly that
    some people may suggest that he buy some rechargeables and a charger,
    so he preempts this answer as it doesn't solve the problem.

    It may very well be that the OP wouldn't be interested in a mouse with
    a recharging stand, but that isn't clear. UCLAN's suggestion was a good
    one.

    Mitch Crane, Nov 27, 2006
  4. BestMouse

    UCLAN Guest

    http://www.tapdance.org/

    UCLAN, Nov 28, 2006
  5. BestMouse

    UCLAN Guest

    Kony's middle name.

    UCLAN, Nov 28, 2006
  6. BestMouse

    kony Guest

    Yeah, how dare I actually consider what the OP wrote when
    considering the correct answer.

    kony, Nov 29, 2006
  7. BestMouse

    Mitch Crane Guest

    I think the problem isn't considering what the OP wrote. The problems
    is that you didn't consider why it was written. Your interpretation
    may very well be the right one, but I think it's quite possible that
    it isn't.

    Take the guy who posted in this group recently about getting a new LCD
    to replace his old CRT. He preferred a monitor that natively supported
    1024 x 768. Why did he want that? That wasn't stated in the beginning.
    Should we only have said yes it will look messed up so you'll have to
    get a 15" LCD? I made a typo in my reply and wrote "...you'll find
    that a 19" LCD at 1024x768 will be a lot easier on the eyes than your
    CRT was at 1024x768." What I meant, of course, was at 1280 x 1024 (the
    native resolution) that would be the case. You and others suggested as
    much.

    The correct thing to do was to consider why this person stated that he
    wanted to use the 1024 resolution and upon doing so most people can
    guess that it's a matter of viewability. Since a 19" at its native
    1280 is probably a lot crisper than that 19" CRT at 1024, it was
    perfectly reasonable to suggest that he get a 19" or larger monitor
    and use it at its native resolution.

    You may argue that the OP's preference in the monitor case was much
    more dubious and I suppose I would agree. On the other hand, the
    comment about not wanting to use rechargeables pretty clearly refers
    to batteries, in my opinion, and so is ambiguous with regard to
    whether it means switching to rechargeables for the mouse he now owns
    or the use of rechargeables in any and all contexts, so it was left to
    us to consider why that comment was made.

    Mitch Crane, Nov 29, 2006
  8. Well then, I guess an Explorer Trackball is out of the question? (o;

    Best wishes to you and yours for a safe and joyous holiday season.

    --

    I wouldn't be a bit surprised if someday some fishermen caught
    a big shark and cut it open, and there inside was a whole person.

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 29, 2006
  9. BestMouse

    kony Guest

    If the OP had only said it was a pain swapping rechargable
    batteries I'd tend to agree.

    That wasn't what OP wrote, it was incredibly specifc-
    alkalines.

    You are essentially ignoring a quite specific request and
    pretending that you know better.

    You don't. We could as easily assume the OP doesn't want to
    swap rechargable batteries every month or two, or that OP
    doesn't want to have to put a mouse on the recharge cradle
    religiously. Because there are mice that can go for near a
    year on a set of alkalines, that is not an unreasonable
    alternative no matter how much you prefer something else,
    but above all, it IS WHAT OP ASKED.

    kony, Nov 29, 2006
  10. BestMouse

    UCLAN Guest

    The correct answer? You *do* have an ego, don't you? Since the
    OP has abandoned this thread, we can only assume that he read
    the various *suggestions*, and acted accordingly.

    The "correct" answer, indeed.

    UCLAN, Nov 29, 2006
  11. BestMouse

    Mitch Crane Guest

    I know people who say, "Put that bologna in the frigidaire for me,
    please?" It doesn't mean that I
    No more than you ignored this very specific request:

    As I understand it if I run at 1024X780 I will experience
    noticeable loss in display quality. If that is correct what
    options do I have to get 1024X768?

    yet you say:

    I feel you would get used to the higher resolution and
    appreciate it. More modern software seems to waste more
    screen space too, it could be hard to work with only
    1024x768 pretty soon.

    Well, I feel the OP could get used to keeping the mouse on the charging
    stand and would appreciate the benefit of not having to change batteries
    for years.
    We could, but we should assume neither. We should simply consider that
    the questioner may not have considered a mouse with a charging stand.
    It's quite possible that he has, but since we don't know it does no harm
    to mention that option.
    Of course it's reasonable. If someone protested your suggestion of such
    then I missed it.

    Mitch Crane, Nov 29, 2006
  12. BestMouse

    Mitch Crane Guest

    Um, that's what happens when neighbors interrupt me with their internet
    problems.

    It doesn't mean I should balk if I find their refridgerator is a General
    Electric model. I.e. sometime we can take words too literally.

    Mitch Crane, Nov 29, 2006
  13. BestMouse

    UCLAN Guest

    Logitech is very careful to say "up to" one year, but they don't
    give specifics. For example, since the mouse "turns off" when not
    being used, how much daily usage to they include in their "up to"
    one year statement? One hour? Eight hours? Less? And what type of
    batteries? Standard alkaline? Premium alkaline? Lithium? And those
    with the on/off switch - what happens if you forget to turn it off?
    After all, if putting a mouse into a recharger is so hard to remember,
    remembering an on/off switch on the bottom of the mouse won't be any
    easier.

    [I notice they have the caveat: "Battery life may vary depending on
    usage" on their site.]

    Logitech's newest mice with Li-ion batteries, charging cradle, and
    4-LED on mouse charge indicator make it easy. No reason to use
    standard alkaline batteries in your mouse, unless it's for a portable
    computer. Hence the line of low power mice for laptops.

    UCLAN, Nov 29, 2006
  14. BestMouse

    kony Guest

    Actually I first mentioned that it was only attainable with
    a 15" size, so I didn't ignore the OP's question and jump
    right to an alternative instead.

    Actually it's quite likely OP would forget to put it in the
    cradle every now and then, so the batteries would need
    swapped.

    kony, Nov 29, 2006
  15. BestMouse

    kony Guest

    I'm really not caring how hard it is for you to grasp that
    the OP asked about something specific, not your generalized
    idea of what YOU like best in a mouse.

    There's a reason more than one mouse exists. Ponder it.

    kony, Nov 29, 2006
  16. BestMouse

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    Get a Wacom Graphire tablet with mouse. It doesn't use any batteries and is wireless:

    http://www.wacom.com/graphire/index.cfm

    I have been using Wacom products for many years and they are rock solid. Also if you can take the time to
    learn to use the pen you will never go back to using a mouse. It's much easier on your wrist and faster to
    navigate with.

    Fuzzy Logic, Nov 29, 2006
  17. BestMouse

    Mitch Crane Guest

    Nonetheless, he stated he wanted to use 1024x768 and you gave advice
    about using 1280x1024.
    Possibly. He can make that judgement with the given info. Just as you
    felt that poster would get used to the higher resolution, I feel this
    one will get used to using a charging stand.

    Mitch Crane, Nov 29, 2006
  18. BestMouse

    kony Guest

    OP didn't ask what you felt could be gotten used to. With
    the monitor thread my primary reply, possibly even the first
    sentence I typed was the direct answer to the question. In
    this thread, I don't see ANY direct reply to the question
    from you. That's quite different than adding it as
    supplimental information, rather you seem set on the idea
    that the OP *must* want what you do, when the only thing
    written suggests quite the opposite.

    kony, Nov 30, 2006
  19. BestMouse

    kony Guest

    There is no "nonetheless" relevant here, it's quite central
    to the answer you gave which was the opposite of what was
    asked.

    kony, Nov 30, 2006
  20. BestMouse

    Mitch Crane Guest

    No and the LCD monitor guy didn't ask if you felt he could get used to
    1280 x 1024. yet you offered.
    And it was the wrong answer.
    No, as I've said many times (as you well know) I feel it's best to let
    him decide whether a rechargeable mouse is a good solution to his
    problem. It's you who protested any other solution but yours. I've said
    on more than one occasion that your solution, if an alkaline battery
    really lasts a year or more, seems quite acceptable.

    How about a little intellectual honesty on your part? You say that
    UCLANs suggestion is inappropriate and shouldn't be given and then
    accuse others of only wanting their suggestion forwarded.

    Mitch Crane, Nov 30, 2006