    mouse in question, and so he peempted such responses, but he may not
    have considered the benefits of a mouse with rechargeables and a
    charging stand.

    Mitch Crane, Nov 27, 2006

  2. BestMouse

    Mitch Crane Guest

    And then what happens after a few days? Are you supposing that a person
    using the maouse won't use the charging stand?
    Unless of course your mouse charges itself while you sleep, in which
    case your point is indeed moot.

    Mitch Crane, Nov 27, 2006

  3. BestMouse

    Mitch Crane Guest

    The battery still works. You don't have to take it out or find/buy
    another set. You do have to remember to use the charger and if that's a
    problem then the MX700 isn't for you. If you use the charger then the
    battery may not become discharged beyond useability for years (long
    after your alkalines are dead).
    No, that's what keeps the battery from dying.
    You seem to be ignoring the possibility that the reason for the post in
    the beginning was that the OP was tired of changing batteries so
    frequently.

    You're also ignoring the fact that the remark about rechargeables only
    mentioned batteries so quite possibly was speaking to the option of
    using rechargeables with the current mouse. It was an ambiguous remark
    at best.

    If I were having a real conversation with this person I would ask, "Why
    do you say you'd prefer not to use rechargeables?" The answer might be
    one of the following:

    A) I like to pollute the city dump with alkaline batteries.

    B) My mom works at a Duracell alkaline battery factory.

    C) I don't want to have to remember to keep the mouse on the charger
    when I'm not using it.

    D) I'm sick of changing batteries and I asked the question because I
    want the longest possible time between having to open the mouse and
    replace the batteries. Rechargeables would still need to be taken out
    for exchanging/charging.

    If the answer is D then I'd say, "Well you know if you get a mouse with
    a charging stand then you'll get the longest possible time between
    changing batteries." To which the reply might (or might not) be, "Gee
    thanks, I hadn't considered that option."

    Mitch Crane, Nov 27, 2006
  4. BestMouse

    Rod Speed Guest

    Its recharged.
    Nope, I was pointing out that since its recharged every couple of days,
    you dont even see the self discharge effect that you get with NiMH batterys.

    That is a problem with much lower drain devices where the self discharge
    rate can actually be higher than the discharge rate due to the device itself.
    So in THOSE devices alkalines can give a dramatically better battery life
    and so you need to change the battery less often.
    The OP clearly wasnt asking about those.

    You dont even know that the OP will even remember to put it on the charger reliably.

    Rod Speed, Nov 27, 2006
  5. BestMouse

    kony Guest

    Not in the normal interpretation, which is how long the
    device runs before it's out of power.

    Until we have any evidence of some other factors the OP
    might or might not want, all we have to go on is exactly
    what WAS written, which was quite clearly a desire to use
    Duracell alkalines _instead_ of rechargables.

    I suggest you reread the OP's post if this wasn't clear by
    now.

    kony, Nov 27, 2006
  6. BestMouse

    kony Guest

    Until the OP states that, it is rather ridiculous to assume
    to to continue with a suggestion that is the exact opposite
    of what the OP clearly stated.

    End of story, it's the OP's thread and the goal was pretty
    clear. Until the OP states otherwise, this is a silly
    disagreement.

    kony, Nov 27, 2006
  7. BestMouse

    Mitch Crane Guest

    In that context the rechargeable in a mouse with a charging stand still
    has a longer life, because it can go years without running out of
    power.
    What was written was that the OP wanted a new mouse so that the
    batteries wouldn't need to be replaced as frequently. The comment
    regarding rechargeables suggests that they wouldn't be a suitable
    option in lieu of a new mouse, but it's an ambiguous comment.

    Mitch Crane, Nov 27, 2006
  8. BestMouse

    Mitch Crane Guest

    In which case the self discharge effect is a moot point.
    Who is arguing otherwise? Since the device charges itself when you
    aren't using it and the charge will last far longer than anyone is
    likely to continually use a mouse then the self discharge effect has no
    bearing. You will never need to change the battery until the NiMH
    batteries no longer recharge properly.
    The OP clearly never mentioned those at all, which is why it should be
    suggested in case the OP hadn't considered the option.
    I'll give the OP the information and let him/her decide whether that
    would be a problem.

    Mitch Crane, Nov 27, 2006
  9. BestMouse

    Mitch Crane Guest

    That was exactly what was stated--the desire for a mouse which could go
    longer on a set of batteries. The person making an assumption is you. You
    assume that the comment about rechargeables wasn't with regard to simply
    switching battery type. I make no assumption either way.
    It's silly to protest the suggestion of a new mouse which recharges
    itself, yes.

    Mitch Crane, Nov 27, 2006
  10. BestMouse

    Rod Speed Guest

    You dont know that a rechargable mouse is what he can use.
    Who said anyone was ?
    Irrelevant if the OP doesnt want a rechargeable mouse.
    He did however say that he didnt want to use rechargeables.
    But not a good reason for going on and on and on now.
    That already happened long ago.

    Rod Speed, Nov 27, 2006
  11. BestMouse

    Mitch Crane Guest

    I make no assumption either way.
    The person trying to agrue the point that self-discharge has any
    relevance.
    Relevant if he does.
    Which refers to batteries.
    Then feel free to not go on and on.
    Good. Now maybe we can argue more about laminar air flow and
    turbulence.

    Mitch Crane, Nov 27, 2006
  12. BestMouse

    Rod Speed Guest

    He did however say very explicitly that he doesnt want to use rechargeables.
    Wrong, as always.
    He said very explicitly that he doesnt want to use rechargeables.
    You dont know that.
    Pathetic, really.
    Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

    Rod Speed, Nov 27, 2006
  13. BestMouse

    Mitch Crane Guest

    Which, given the context, probably refers to batteries which would be
    used in his current mouse.
    Well, at least you're big enough to admit it.
    Which, given the context, probably refers to batteries which would be
    used in his current mouse.
    It's plural, so unless he planed on using multiple mice he was probably
    referring to batteries.

    Mitch Crane, Nov 27, 2006
  14. BestMouse

    UCLAN Guest

    If the mouse resides in a charging cradle every night or every other
    night, self discharge is of no concern. The mouse lasts for years on
    the initial pair of NiMH batteries.

    UCLAN, Nov 27, 2006
  15. BestMouse

    UCLAN Guest

    He said he was tired of changing batteries. "Unfortunately the mouse,
    which requires two AA batteries, uses up batteries very fast...",
    and inquired about a solution that would be more efficient. The
    NiMH with a recharging cradle fits the bill, if using the same
    set of batteries for over three years is considered efficient.
    In my opinion, NiMH cells in a mouse that has a charger/cradle
    DOES provide the "longest battery life." I choose to try to
    provide an answer to the OP's problem. You get too hung up on
    how he words the problem. Reading the OP, there is no way to
    know if he was even aware that mice with recharging cradles
    that totally eliminated battery replacement were even available.
    Now, he knows.

    UCLAN, Nov 27, 2006
  16. BestMouse

    UCLAN Guest

    The purpose of the thread was to provide solutions to the OP's
    complaint of changing batteries so often.

    My solution was to use NiMH batteries in a mouse with a
    recharging cradle. Battery life without changing: 3 years
    and counting.

    Your solution: A more power efficient mouse with alkaline
    batteries which "tend to run for closer to a year" (and I'm
    quoting you here.)

    So, it's 3 years plus with a charger/cradle, or up to a year
    with a business class notebook mouse and alkalines (though I
    have yet to hear from the "real world" what battery life is
    actually seen.)

    Choice is his.

    UCLAN, Nov 27, 2006
  17. BestMouse

    UCLAN Guest

    Which translates to 2900 is upwards of 3000...how?

    Your original comment, lest we forget:
    It's doubtful those cells actually achieve upwards of
    3000mAH. Even the majors are only now achieving 2700mAH,
    and only then when batteries are new which can dismiss as
    the point of rechargeables IS to keep using them.

    UCLAN, Nov 27, 2006
  18. BestMouse

    UCLAN Guest

    And there are those that *still* argue that the charger/cradle
    option shouldn't be given. The OP gave NO indication that he/she
    knew of such an option.

    UCLAN, Nov 27, 2006
  19. BestMouse

    kony Guest

    Actually, no, read the OP's post.

    I think we've both fully expressed our views and there's no
    point in further discussion so I'm done.

    kony, Nov 27, 2006
  20. BestMouse

    kony Guest

    Ok, then we've provided all info necessary and are done.

    kony, Nov 27, 2006