    Which wireless mouse has the longest battery life?

    I know that rechargeable batteries are an option, but would prefer to
    keep using regular Duracell's, but with longer life.

    BestMouse, Nov 22, 2006

  2. I've got a Micosoft which shuts itself off when you don't move it, and
    quick as you put some motion to it, it lights back up. It uses 2 AAA's, and
    instead of the provided alkalines, I use NiCads and recharge them.

    Best wishes to you and yours for a safe and joyous holiday season.

    --

    If trees could scream,
    would we be so cavalier about cutting them down?

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 22, 2006

  3. BestMouse

    PeeCee Guest

    I have seen Wireless Mice where the USB receiver also doubles as a charger,
    the idea being you just drop the mouse into the receiver/charger while you
    are not using it
    I've seen Logitec ones, not doubt there are other reputable brands.
    I personally have a no name Supermarket one that has not gone flat in over a
    year by just popping it into it's cradle when I not in use. (Not a
    particularly good mouse though)

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Nov 22, 2006
  4. BestMouse

    Adam Russell Guest

    I have a logitech LX7 now. It lasts way longer than other mice I have had.
    It doesnt have the recharger cradle, but thats fine with me cause I always
    had problems with those. I keep a battery recharger behind my desk with 2
    spare batteries topped off. Even using the rechargeable batteries it goes
    about a month of heavy usage before I swap them out. I guess if I used
    regular batteries they would last 6 months.

    Adam Russell, Nov 22, 2006
  5. BestMouse

    DaveW Guest

    The BEST wireless mouse overall and the one that has it's batteries last the
    longest is the Microsoft Wireless 6000 Laser Mouse. The Duracell batteries
    last well over 6 months of all day, every day use.

    DaveW, Nov 22, 2006
  6. BestMouse

    thanatoid Guest

    Costco brand (Kirkland) AA's cost half of what Duracells cost
    and last longer. I know it's hard to believe but it's true.

    Rechargeables (a REAL brand, not some no-name crap) are a MUCH
    better option and will cost you hundreds of dollars less in the
    long run. But it's your money and your choice.

    While it will give you a cable, just a different one, which will
    not be attached to your computer but to wherever you want,
    another option to perhaps consider is to buy a 3V AC adapter for
    five dollars and have someone solder the wire into your mouse -
    or do it yourself if you know how. Those things use less AC
    power in a year than a lightbulb does in a few days (more or
    less, no arguments "you know who you are" please) and you would
    never have to worry about batteries again.

    I know this is just my opinion and you don't care, but I never
    saw much point in wireless m/k's unless you have a 40 inch LCD
    monitor 10 feet away and like to compute from your bed. Even
    then, the AC adapter cable going into the mouse would not impede
    you from doing that since it can be plugged in anywhere.

    There are also extension cables for both keyboards and mice and
    everything else.

    thanatoid, Nov 23, 2006
  7. BestMouse

    Plato Guest

    All batery powered mice are limited. Use a standard mouse for best
    results.

    Plato, Nov 23, 2006
  8. BestMouse

    CBFalconer Guest

    I have had good experience with Walgrens house brand batteries.
    They are quite economical, especially when on sale for half price.
    My experience was confirmed some years ago by a Consumer Reports
    article. Stock up at sale time.

    CBFalconer, Nov 23, 2006
  9. BestMouse

    kony Guest

    False

    It might be the right choice if the shape is ergonomically
    correct for your uses, but Logitech's "Invisible light"
    opticals use less power, tend to run for closer to a year.

    I don't know "all" of the Logitech models that use this
    technology but at least the V200 Notebook, LX5, LX7,
    MediaPlay, and probably one or two more though availability
    in any particular geographic region may vary.

    kony, Nov 23, 2006
  10. BestMouse

    UCLAN Guest

    Why? Logitech's cordless mice with NiMH AA and charging cradles are
    the way to go. I've been using my MX700 with the same included NiMH
    AA cells for over three years. I simply put the mouse in it's cradle
    about every other night. Buying alkaline AA cells for a mouse is dumb.

    BTW, there are now 2900mAh NiMH batteries available (soon to be 3000mAh)
    which hold a charge as long as Duracell or Eveready alkalines. I use
    NiMH AA cells in all of my remote controls as well. I haven't bought
    an AA alkaline battery in years.

    UCLAN, Nov 23, 2006
  11. BestMouse

    UCLAN Guest

    2700mAh and 2900mAh NiMH batteries last just as long (if not longer)
    than standard Duracell or Energizer AA batteries (which are ~2700mAh.)
    Depends on the application.

    UCLAN, Nov 23, 2006
  12. BestMouse

    kony Guest

    In this application, NiMH cannot power a mouse as long.
    NiMH inherantly has a self-discharge propensity that will
    result in lower usable power over the course of several
    months time. If the mouse were power hungry enough that it
    drained the batteries within a month or two, NiMH would be
    more competitive.

    That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea to use NiMH, as
    certainly it'll be more cost effective and kinder to the
    environment. The remaining option that somewhat contradicts
    what I wrote above is the new breed of NiMH by Sanyo,
    eneloop. Their capacity is lower than their other NiMH but
    self-discharge rate is much lower. Unfortunately most
    places don't carry eneloop yet, of the major retailers they
    might be cheapest at hhgreg.com

    kony, Nov 23, 2006
  13. BestMouse

    Adam Russell Guest

    I had one of those but had a problem that if I wasnt very careful putting it
    in the cradle just so, then it wouldnt make good contact and wouldnt charge.

    Adam Russell, Nov 23, 2006
  14. BestMouse

    Rod Speed Guest

    Trivial to check that its charging because the
    green led on the top flashes when its charging.

    Rod Speed, Nov 23, 2006
  15. BestMouse

    Adam Russell Guest

    Yea but I forget alot when its late. Also was kind of a pain when it
    wouldnt. Set it down, wait, set it again, wait, clean the contacts, try
    again...

    Adam Russell, Nov 23, 2006
  16. It seems everbody has problems with Logitech's recharger/cradle. I wonder
    when they will fix this problem.

    //// Owen \\\\\\\\, Nov 23, 2006
  17. BestMouse

    UCLAN Guest

    Yeah, it's tough. If the green light comes on, then it's in right and
    it's charging. If the green light *doesn't* come on, it's not. I started
    having difficulty, but cleaning the contacts on the cradle and on the
    mouse ended the problem.

    UCLAN, Nov 23, 2006
  18. BestMouse

    UCLAN Guest

    Some cordless mice ARE power hungry, being in the on/active state
    if they are not in the charger. *In these applications*, the 2700-
    3000mAh NiMH rechargeables hold their charge just as long as the
    alkalines do. Using the cradle, well...NiMH is a "no brainer."
    http://www.hybriousa.com/

    UCLAN, Nov 23, 2006
  19. BestMouse

    UCLAN Guest

    What problem? Once it starts giving me trouble, I simply clean the
    charging contacts of the cradle and the mouse (about once a year.)
    End of trouble. The batteries acted up once. A charge cycle in my
    Maha ended *that* quickly.

    UCLAN, Nov 23, 2006
  20. BestMouse

    kony Guest

    It's doubtful those cells actually achieve upwards of
    3000mAH. Even the majors are only now achieving 2700mAH,
    and only then when batteries are new which can dismiss as
    the point of rechargeables IS to keep using them.

    Given the context of wanting long runtime, why would anyone
    choose a power hungry mouse that doesn't have it's own
    charger? I suggest that if it has it's own charger, it
    doesn't matter much which batteries one uses, even the old
    1100mAH NiCads should last a day or two till it's put back
    into that charging cradle. Perhaps traveling with a laptop
    is anther story, but there are laptop mice meant for this
    use.

    kony, Nov 23, 2006