    talking about someone with limited technical knowledge - like myself!)

    Basically this person set up the network and I just log on.

    Thanks.

    jen.mathieu.mail, Jan 21, 2009

  2. jen.mathieu.mail

    ~ Guest

    most likely a packet reader.

    ~, Jan 21, 2009

  3. jen.mathieu.mail

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:55:47 -0800 (PST),
    Depends if it's basic WEP encryption, broken in a few minutes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy
    or something like WPA2
    http://www.networkcomputing.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=177103376
    and other basic precautions make it less worth the effort of trying.
    That person or any person :)

    The person that set it up is more likely to know the settings and it's
    easy with something like CACE AirPcap and the companion WIreshark.
    http://www.wireshark.org/

    Several other tools will discover info about wireless links, such as
    netstumbler.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetStumbler
    Your basic packet sniffer on a wireless link, will show some information
    about the system, but the data packets will show as encrypted.

    Me

    why?, Jan 22, 2009