Wireless modem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networks' started by David, Apr 7, 2010.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Here in Aus our ISP's are trying to flogg wireless modems at almost any
    unreasonable price. It sounds attractive in that possibly it may work out to
    drop the hardwire along with the hardwire phone and just use a wireless
    modem for uplift and downloading, though I have absolutely no intention of
    using "WiFi' as it is called here for connection to my machines etc, I am
    not that stupid as violation of so many setups is common here, usually
    without the user being aware of being monitored, etc. Besides I have a cosy
    cat 5 setup.
    I would very much like some outside input. The prices being quoted here are
    about double the cost of ADSL via a hardwire circuit. What is the fault rate
    in the real world, what about transmission rates during bad weather,
    sunspot, is there generally interference from other ground installions of
    various frequencies. Would you regard wireless as dependable as the present
    cable conn?.

    So maybe I can get you switched on people on the handle and give us all a
    burst, if you will.

    Regards,
    Dave

    David, Apr 7, 2010

  2. Hi
    In the USA it is popular in places were no wire service is available or when
    people are on the road.
    Otherwise its Speed it rather slow as compare to most of the Entry level
    wire/fiber connections, and the price is rather steep.
    My guess would be that this type of solution has to do more with the
    geography of Aus. and the cost of installing the infra structure, rather
    than being the best cost effective solution everywhere.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Apr 7, 2010

  3. Same here in Canada. The political point is that many
    cities and provinces have proclaimed plans to get "broadband
    for everyone" by year 20!?, and offered to subsidize the
    networks. The ISPs' hardware for second-rate wireless broadband
    are much cheaper than for first-class broadband by cable, so you can
    guess what we get, albeit (currently) at higher prices for less bandwidth.

    Don Phillipson, Apr 10, 2010