Wireless Loses Connection (Event ID 4201)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Matt Schwarz, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. Matt Schwarz

    Matt Schwarz Guest

    Hi,
    Every 15 minutes or so an event shows up in the Event Manager that says "The
    system detected that network adapter Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g was
    connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the
    network adapter."

    Often, but not all the time, I lose connectivity after this.

    If I do lose my connection, sometimes it will only be gone for a few seconds
    and sometimes it will be gone for the most of a day. If I am going through
    a 'long spell' with no connection, restarting does NOT help.

    I did notice that I had this problem after upgrading to SP2, but not
    immediately after upgrading. Since then, I have reformatted, upgraded to
    SP2 again and made sure that all my drives (and firmware for the router) are
    up-to-date.

    By the way, I get this problem whether I have encryptation enabled or
    disabled on the router.

    Any help?

    --Matthew Schwarz

    P.S. I also sometimes get the DHCP errors where I lose the lease on my IP
    address. Either way, if I try to renew my lease it gets renewed but after
    checking with 'ipconfig /all' I notice that it is set to expire exactly 1
    minute later.

    Matt Schwarz, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Matt Schwarz

    Matt Schwarz Guest

    Hello,

    Just a little update:
    After trying out different versions of my Wireless Adapter's Drivers (from
    Compaq and from Windowsupdate) I no longer get disconnected as much nor do I
    get the event as much. Now I only get the event a few times a day.
    Additionally, I notice that when my computer hasn't been touched for awhile
    and the screen goes blank, then once it wakes up I briefly get disconnected.
    I don't have any power-saving tools set except for blank screen.

    Additionally, I no longer get the DHCP events.

    Any help on the Event 4201?

    Thanks.
    Matt

    Matt Schwarz, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Matt Schwarz

    mike Guest

    mike, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Carey Holzman, Nov 10, 2004
  5. Matt Schwarz

    npinnell

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    This is a rather old thread (though not as old as some I've found), but it did float to the top when I searched for continuous 4201 / 4202 events that have been plaguing me, so this seems the right place to post what worked for me...

    Under the properties dialog for Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (Advanced tab) I changed the follwing Properties...

    Power Managemet: Highest
    Roaming Agressiveness: Lowest

    npinnell, Aug 1, 2008