    ago it was doing the same - strong signal but cant surf the internet. The
    only thing I cant seem to do is change the channel on the wireless USB NIC
    within windows XP. Can someone help me please?

    Luis, Sep 18, 2004

  2. Luis

    Quaoar Guest

    The Comcast test is inconclusive unless the cable modem was powered down
    for a few minutes before connecting the router. Try that with your DSL
    modem. Otherwise, consult the SBC DSL group and FAQ at
    http://www.broadbandreports.com . There might be DSL-specific settings
    you need for the router, or you might need to clone the former host pc's
    MAC address.

    Quaoar, Sep 28, 2004

  3. It's not likely that changing your radio channel will solve the problem, or
    that it is even your problem (unless you can think of any reason there might
    be environmental interferance in the vicinity such as cordless phones). Do
    you know if your internet connection works? Plug in the wire from your DSL
    modem directly into your computer and see. If that works then I think the
    first step to take would be to test whether the Linksys router works at all,
    even on a wired interface. First reset the Linksys router following the
    instructions it came with. Plug the cable coming out of the DSL modem into
    the WAN port of your Linksys router. Then plug your computer in one of the
    LAN ports of the Linksys router with a wire. Now use IE to navigate to the
    router's administration page, after a reset the default IP address of the
    Linksys router should be 192.168.1.1. If that doesn't work, and/or you
    don't even get an IP address from the router, then I'd say the router is
    busted. If everything works so far, then continue: Setup wireless on the
    Linksys now. Try using a simple configuration for now. Create an SSID, set
    it to broadcast the SSID, and choose Open authentication with no encryption
    whatsoever. Then try connecting to it with your wireless interface. If you
    receive an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range, then it sounds like the
    wireless portion of the router is working too. What's left is see if you
    can access the internet, you'll need to follow any instructions your ISP
    provided you with regards to configuration. Let me know how that goes and
    we can go from there.

    Peter Bui[MS], Oct 5, 2004