    eg my network is called "Home" but it finds networks called "Home00~" not
    with symbols I can reproduce from my keyboard, but little squares after the
    word "home". Buggered if I know whats goiung on. Any ideas? Cheers Tony

    Tony in Oz, Jan 26, 2009

  2. Tony in Oz

    EMB Guest

    802.11a,b or g? Have you got any cordless phones? How far from the
    neighbours are you? What model of access point are you using?

    EMB, Jan 26, 2009

  3. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    802.11g I believe. About half a km from the nearest neighbour, And its a
    D-Link DIR- 300. And nope, no cordless phones, just a fixed one beside the
    Wireless router. It runs through a Speed touch Modem to the wireless router
    if that helps EMB... Cheers T.

    Tony in Oz, Jan 26, 2009
  4. The most likely cause is interference.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 26, 2009
  5. Anything before 802.11n suffers from multipath interference, where the
    signal bounces off something and interferes with the main signal. So
    someone driving a car (or better a flat sided truck) nearby could
    cause temporary multipath problems, as could someone opening the
    fridge door. Usually moving the antennas slightly or greatly helps
    with these sorts of problems.

    Stephen Worthington, Jan 26, 2009
  6. Tony in Oz

    EMB Guest

    Log into the DIR-300 and disable any of the crap about dual SSID if you
    can. Also disable any of the Tomizone functionality. Check what
    channel it's using (I'm guessing it will be 6) and set it to near one
    extreme or the other (say channel 2 or 11) and see if things improve.
    if not, try the opposite extreme. If it still gives grief I'll think
    further. Cheers

    EMB, Jan 26, 2009
  7. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    Thought about that, but it happens whether or not the microwave is
    going...

    Tony in Oz, Jan 26, 2009
  8. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    Hey EMB, It seems I can't log into the DIR-300. I have the install guide
    here, which gives me the default Username as Admin, and the password as
    blank, but every time I try and log in, it tells me username/password is
    incorrect... I don't recall changing it at all... any suggestions as to
    why this would be happening? Cheers T

    Tony in Oz, Jan 28, 2009
  9. Tony in Oz

    EMB Guest

    admin will not have a capital 'A'

    EMB, Jan 29, 2009
  10. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    Shit. What a dumbarse! I was sure I'd tried it without the capital A.
    Cheers EMB...

    Tony in Oz, Jan 29, 2009
  11. Tony in Oz

    EMB Guest

    Typical... you get back to Oz and your IQ drops 60 points LOL

    EMB, Jan 29, 2009
  12. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    Hahaha, true! Just been into it, Tomizone is not setup at all, can't
    find anything about multiple SSID, and its already setup on Channel 11. I
    remember doing that manually, when I couldn't get it to connect when I first
    set it up. What else? Cheers T.

    Tony in Oz, Jan 29, 2009
  13. Tony in Oz

    EMB Guest

    I'd try moving it to channel 2 (opposite end of spectrum) - just in case
    there's something high powered in your vicinity[1] using 11.

    [1] Like a "neighbour" with a cordless phone pumping out 2W of signal.

    I'd also look at downloading something like InSSIDer or NetStumbler and
    having a look at what is actually alive around your area, and what
    signal levels you get on your own network.

    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider
    http://www.netstumbler.com/

    I've just discovered (whilst looking in response to your problem) that I
    can see 5 networks on channel 11 at the moment - I'll bet none of them
    are particularly reliable.

    EMB, Jan 29, 2009
  14. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    Changed to Channel 2, and within 20 minutes it dropped out again... Bloody
    annoying... Nearest neighbour is 500 or so metres, nearest road is about
    300 m.

    Tony in Oz, Jan 29, 2009
  15. Tony in Oz

    Richard Guest

    My crap intel onboard on the old centrino drop out all the time when
    running with encryption. Open network doesnt do it.

    Richard, Jan 30, 2009
  16. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    Turned out to be the wireless adaptor in the computer. I thought it had
    to be computer specific, as there was only one machine affected. I disabled
    it, and added a USB wireless adaptor, and its been running great for a
    couple of weeks now. Thanks for the responses. Cheers T.

    Tony in Oz, Feb 24, 2009