wireless house network dropping connection across mapped drive

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Simon Sphynx, Jan 15, 2005.

  1. Simon Sphynx

    Simon Sphynx Guest

    I'm having a bit of trouble solving this one, so I am wondering if
    anyone else might have any ideas to try.

    I have a 3Com wireless modem/router, and my network mainly consists of
    a desktop upstairs on a wireless 11b PCI card (Running windows 2000
    server) and a shuttle downstairs connected on ethernet (Wired) running
    Windows 2000 Proffesional.

    I can connect between the 2 computers fine, and I can remote connect
    up to the wireless machine and use it all day without dropping
    connection. I have configured the network to only use 802.11b speed
    and the signal is very strong.

    What happens is from the wired machine - if I map to a shared
    directory on the wireless machine then it is also fine for exploring,
    but as soon as I try to move a file up to it, or copy a file down from
    it then the wireless machine loses all connection (Internet and
    network).

    I can remote connect all day without dropping the connection, and
    explore the directories. It is purely happenning when I try and move a
    file from one to the other.

    would anyone have any ideas on things I could check to sort out this
    weird little problem?

    thanks in advance,

    Lindsay.

    Simon Sphynx, Jan 15, 2005