wireless disconnects after exactly 3 minutes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by doofus, Jul 8, 2007.

  1. doofus

    doofus Guest

    Friends,

    Every three minutes my wireless connection from my laptop to our home
    wireless network goes down.

    Sometimes everything works OK, eg. early morning. But usually, it cuts out
    after exactly three minutes. I reconnect. Same thing happens again. The
    problem started quite suddenly two weeks ago without any changes my end,
    since when I've been using cable. My laptop connects fine to the wireless
    network at the university library.

    My housemate who set up the wireless router says the network is working fine
    on his wireless laptop. My other housemate says his is fine but cuts out
    occasionally when he's watching a movie.

    The strange thing is it is always exactly three minutes before the
    connection goes down. Sometimes it then proceeds to connect to another
    network, presumably in a house nearby.

    The connection uses a network key. When I try to reconnect it comes up with
    a "Wireless network connection" box showing two or three entries. I select
    ours and then click connect. It connects with signal strength "excellent"
    and that's me good for another three minutes.

    Has anyone ever encountered anything like this before?

    I've tried using the "repair" operation. It reports no problems.

    It doesn't matter whether the connection is in use for downloading or not.
    After 3 minutes to the second it goes down.

    I've tried switching between the highest power setting and the lowest power
    setting in the advanced configuration tab for my wireless adapter.

    Is it me or is it the router? I reckon the router must be throwing me off.

    It's possible my other housemate is automatically reconnecting every three
    minutes and he doesn't notice except when he's on continuous download.

    I can't get mine to automatically reconnect, however. I have to keep
    clicking on "connect" in that window. I have it set up to connect to "Any
    available network (access point preferred)" and I have our connection at the
    top of the list of preferred networks. Still it won't automatically
    reconnect. In any case, why does it disconnect?

    OS: Windows XP

    Many Thanks.

    Stephen

    doofus, Jul 8, 2007

  2. doofus

    Kraftee Guest

    Have you checked for any local wifi networks using the same 'band' as
    you, or upto 2 either side?

    Kraftee, Jul 8, 2007

  3. doofus

    doofus Guest

    Thanks Kraftee.

    No I haven't. I'm sorry to say I don't even know what that means. :(

    How would I go about doing that?

    doofus, Jul 8, 2007
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 8, 2007
  6. doofus

    Meat Plow Guest

    Make sure you have only one wireless configuration utility. Sometimes the
    utility that comes with the device conflicts with Windows wireless
    configuration utility if it has been installed. The Windows utility is
    enabled by default and works just fine on its own.

    Meat Plow, Jul 8, 2007
  7. doofus

    Kraftee Guest

    You just use the wireless Configuration program which you using to
    scan for any wifi network, if there is one on the same 'channel' it
    may be best to try with your router turned off as well as on

    Kraftee, Jul 9, 2007
  8. doofus

    npinnell

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    This is a rather old thread, but it did float to the top when I searched for continuous 4201 / 4202 events that have been plaguing me, so this seems the right place to post what worked for me...

    Undet the properties dialog for Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (Advanced tab) I changed the follwing Properties...

    Power Managemet: Highest
    Roaming Agressiveness: Lowest

    npinnell, Aug 1, 2008