    network?
    BTW, I tried to access the Netgear forums, but their registration
    process was so complex that I failed several times and gave up.

    Jim T., Dec 30, 2010

  2. Jim T.

    Char Jackson Guest

    It sounds like your essential question is how to get the XP computers
    to see the Win 7 computer, and vice versa. The rest is just "other
    information", right?

    If so, try a couple of links from here or here:

    <http://www.google.com/search?q=networking+xp+and+7+site:microsoft.com>
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=networking+xp+and+7>

    Char Jackson, Dec 30, 2010

  3. Jim T.

    Jim T. Guest

    Thanks for your response. The first reference is not like my problem.
    In fact, I easily solved his problem of having Win 7 and XP comps
    communicate. That is easy if both are on the same network, wireless or
    wired local.
    The second is my problem, having wired and wireless share. Reading
    that whole thread, I conclude that the problem was never solved, at
    least by those people.
    Please keep looking, I am annoyed by this problem.

    Jim T., Dec 31, 2010
  4. Jim T.

    Char Jackson Guest

    Both Google searches were identical, except that the first search was
    limited to results from microsoft.com. Did you only check a single
    result from each search?
    Also, make sure you're using the same Workgroup on the Win 7
    computers. If you use a Homegroup, they won't be able to see the XP
    PC's and vice versa.
    I'm not convinced that the problem is one of sharing between wired and
    wireless. Have you reconfigured the network, at least temporarily, to
    verify your conclusion?

    There is a wireless router feature that prevents the wireless clients
    from seeing the wired clients, but it seems doubtful that the Comcast
    router provides a setting for it, or that it would be enabled in the
    first place.

    Char Jackson, Dec 31, 2010
  5. Jim T.

    Jim T. Guest

    Only one entry uses the word "wireless" and it has a mulitiple page
    thread, never reaching a soultion. Someone blames the W7 build!
    As stated, the nets have the same name. Homegroup is exclusive to W7.
    Unknown to XP.
    Yes, as I said, if I have the W7 pc attach via wired connection,
    everything works.
    Router is a commercial product shown on the Netgear site. There's
    supposedly a feature called intfrastructure or something similar, but
    I can't find any info. Also some references to repeaters.
    BTW, FWIW ALL the devices are listed as attached. They just won't
    communicate.
    I assume that if I shoulod get a WIFI printer, it wouldn't see the
    wired machines at all. The printer attached to the W7 pc is not
    avalaible to any other device.
    Looks like it has to be all one way or the other.

    Jim T., Dec 31, 2010
  6. Jim T.

    Char Jackson Guest

    Please provide the model number for the Netgear router. We need to
    find out one way or another whether it has the wired-to-wireless
    isolation feature. The answer probably lies there.

    Less important, you've mentioned that the two nets have the same name.
    Two nets? If you have a single router then you have a single net,
    unless you're doing something a bit unusual. What are the two nets of
    which you speak?

    Lastly, you've said that the wired and wireless devices don't see each
    other. By devices, I assume you mean the two wired PC's and the two
    wireless PC's, right? The DVD player and the TV are fine, right? And
    when the TV and DVD player are disconnected from the router, and the
    two Win 7 PC's are connected to wired ports on the router, everything
    is fine. Is that a true statement?

    Char Jackson, Dec 31, 2010
  7. Jim T.

    Jim T. Guest

    Hardware Version WGR614v6
    Firmware Version V1.2.10_21.0.52NA
    Guess I misspoke. The Wireless Net and the Workgroup names are the
    same.
    Yes. I watch Netflix, etc on my TV via the DVD player with no
    problems. Didn't disconnect the TV and DVD, but when their power is
    off they do not show in the router as connected. When on, they do.
    Kindles doesn't seem to show, but it works.

    Jim T., Dec 31, 2010
  9. Jim T.

    Jim T. Guest

    Voila---
    I did nothing!!! Now all the computers see each other. Directories
    only - access is denied when try to see contents.
    Working again on sharing.

    Jim T., Dec 31, 2010
  11. Not sure about the Comquest side, but my 2Wire wireless router/DSL modem
    has no difficulty seeing and accessing both wired and wirelessly connected
    computers, one running XP and the other Win7. You might try a trial version
    of Network Magic and see if that solves the problem.

    Michael Dobony, Dec 31, 2010
  12. Jim T.

    Char Jackson Guest

    Excellent, thanks for providing that. I see that the WGR614 not only
    offers a Guest network, but it also offers Wireless Isolation. Either
    of those options will stop you cold, in the exact way that you've been
    describing, if they aren't set correctly. Here's a pretty good article
    that's written in plain English and may help.

    If you mean what I think you mean, there's no need to have those names
    be the same, nor does it cause problems if they are. By Wireless Net,
    I assume you mean the name you've given your wireless network, (SSID),
    while the Workgroup name is a value that should be the same across all
    4 PC's. The two (SSID and Workgroup names) are not related to each
    other.
    I'm still wondering if all 4 computers can see each other if they are
    all connected via Ethernet cables to the router's LAN ports. If they
    can, it's most likely one of the two features mentioned above - the
    Guest network or Wireless Isolation.

    I see in a later follow-up that things have improved. If you've
    cleared the main hurdle and can now see shared folders, it might be
    time to look at folder and file sharing permissions as well as file
    permissions. Lastly, firewalls and some Internet security programs are
    notorious for blocking things when you least expect it.

    Char Jackson, Dec 31, 2010