    of a program that I can use that would run in the background, that checks the
    internet connection and reconnects when it is lost? Or is there a way of
    getting this resolved so that it stays connected. Thank you!

    Guest, Feb 14, 2005

  2. Guest

    mikeFNB Guest

    i think it could be interference, microwave oven, dect phone, other
    networks?
    try changing your channel

    mike

    mikeFNB, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you for your reply! I was thinking the same thing. I have changed the
    channels many times without any success. I have all the latest drivers and
    software updates. It is just weird that my laptop works fine and it is only
    about 20 feet away.

    Guest, Feb 15, 2005
  4. Guest

    DJ Borell Guest

    This might sound strange, but...

    Check what you've got located around your desktop. I read about a case in a
    trade magazine where someone was having the exact problem you're discussing.
    The signal strength read high, changing channels didn't work, and the laptop
    was running fine. As it turned out, the CD's that were stacked near the
    desktop in a holder were causing a signal bounce-back to the desktop
    antenna. The "reflected" TX signal from the desktop were effectively
    masking the signal from the router.

    I would try relocating the router and clearing away anything from the
    desktop to see if you can locate the problem.

    DJ Borell, Feb 15, 2005
  5. Guest

    WLW Guest

    Caveat - This is a "Black Magic" answer: I can tell you What I do but NOT
    for sure Why or What it Does.

    I have had this problem, and I have seen it at a number of wireless
    installations, where the wireless drops the connection and does not
    automatically re-acquire it while other systems in the immediate area do not
    have signal problems. Sometimes "Repairing" the connection will re-establish
    a connection, sometime "Disabling" and waiting for a minute, then "Enabling"
    the connection and waiting a few minutes will fix it (which is essentially
    what Repair does), and sometimes it requires a system reboot to get it back
    working.

    On my personal system I changed to a different Wireless NIC manufacturer and
    even moved the computer to another place right beside the access point with
    no success.

    This is what I have done that seems to get rid of the problem permanently:

    First, go into Control Panel, Power Settings, and select the Power Schemes
    tab. Set the following settings to "Never":

    - Turn Off Monitor
    - Turn Off Hard Disks
    - System Standby
    - System Hibernates

    Next go to the Hibernate tab and clear the box labeled "Enable Hibernation".

    Apply the settings, then exit the Power Settings app. You may need to reboot
    the system but it should not be necessary.

    On all systems I have encountered that seem to lose their connections and
    not be able to re-establish on their own, the above seems to get rid of the
    problem. I think it has something to do with the Hibernate mode or that the
    O/S is Powering-Off or On something in a screwed-up order, but I do not know
    for sure. As I said above, this is a "Black Magic" fix.

    What I do on systems where I do no want to "Burn-In" the screen too much is
    to set the screen-saver to "Blank" which switches it to a black screen.

    Hope this helps,

    WLW, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am having the same problems. I called for Tech support from Linksys. They
    told me it is caused by Windows XP service pack 2 and I should solve the
    problem through Microsoft. I have the same home networking equipment. THis
    problem started when I downloaded service pack. I am having a hard time
    getting anyone to respond.

    Guest, Feb 15, 2005
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have the same problem with an Actiontec USB wifi since installing the
    Service pack 2. I have searched the net, and Microsoft for solution, but
    none found--still no cure. I can start & stop Wifi zero services and
    restart--sometimes this works, but most offten I have to reboot the computer.
    I have changed security settings "Wep" but nothing seems to work

    Other computers wired into the router have no connection problems...getting
    ready hard wire the upstairs system..wifi with SP2 is a pain. Google search
    for the dropping connection problem turned up many users with the same
    problem- Strange when connection is lost Status bar shows connection as
    "execellent"

    Guest, Feb 16, 2005
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have the same problem now with two different machines running without SP2
    and it happens at home and at the office, soi it's definitely not the router
    or the wireless card.... nothing to do with the location of the machines or
    the routers..even with strong signal it kicks me out every 2 to 3 minutes and
    i have reconnect.
    At home i found that if i login to the router and change the channel or
    reboot my computer it works fine.... however, if i let my computer go to
    stand by and start again the problem happens again..... i cant figure it out,
    i have changed routers and wireless cards...HELP!!!!!!!!!!

    Guest, Feb 24, 2005
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    We are still trying to find the reason whay this happens. I did find out I
    can access the router when this happens...Strange...anybody have a can of
    raid...Donh

    Guest, Feb 24, 2005
  10. Guest

    mikeFNB Guest

    try running something like netstumbler and see what results you get
    there areall kinds of nasty things that haen with s2

    mike

    mikeFNB, Feb 25, 2005
  11. Guest

    Danny Kile Guest

    Symptom:

    Wireless connection periodically connects and disconnects at intervals
    of a few minutes.

    Cause:

    Newer 802.11g wireless network cards may have 802.1x authentication
    enabled by default. This may cause problems when trying to connect to
    wireless networks because they are not currently configured for this
    type of authentication. The wireless card will connect for a few minutes
    before it tries to authenticate. When it attempts to authenticate it
    will fail and disconnect. A few minutes later it will connect again
    without authenticating and the connection/disconnection cycle will continue.

    Resolution:

    Disable 802.1x authentication on the wireless card.

    In Windows XP:

    Go to Start>>Control Panel>>Network Connections
    Double Click Your Wireless Network Connection
    Click Properties
    Click Wireless Networks Tab
    Choose the SSID you are using in the Preferred Networks area
    Click Properties
    Click on the Authentication Tab
    Make sure that Enable 802.1x authentication for this network is NOT checked.
    Click OK
    Click OK
    Click Close

    --
    Danny Kile
    Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY

    "Dogs come when they're called, CATS take a message and get back to
    you." Mary Bly

    Danny Kile, Feb 25, 2005
  12. Guest

    putnik

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Listen to the radio!

    I found this forum on Google. It just confirms what I have found on many other forums, that Microsoft need to give us a proper fix for the wireless disconnection problem.

    Just to add another temporary solution to the list, I can only get a continuous connection by going to the BBC website and opening a live feed to a radio station. This prevents the connection dropping and I quite like listening to the World Service at the same time.

    Such is technology in the 21st century:(

    putnik, Aug 19, 2006