    Is there anyway I can stop XP automatically searching for a wireless
    connection each time I switch on?

    I only want it to search when I need the connection.

    RodA, Jan 7, 2010

  2. RodA

    Pavel A. Guest

    Perhaps you should ask Toshiba support.
    Have you reinstalled or updated the wi-fi driver, or use the factory
    installed driver?

    -- pa

    Pavel A., Jan 7, 2010

  3. RodA

    John Guest

    Normal behavior.
    Don't switch on WiFi.
    Leave the switch in off position.

    John, Jan 7, 2010
  4. RodA

    EJ Guest

    I think he means the software that manages his wireless connection is
    searching for a connection when the computer is "switched" on, and the
    wireless card switch is not "switched" on.

    EJ, Jan 7, 2010
  5. RodA

    Pavel A. Guest

    Not with the proper driver. The driver should sense the RF-kill switch
    position
    and won't attempt to scan or connect.
    However, the way how the switch is connected often is specific to the
    machine.
    So maybe the OP has installed a generic or other model driver.

    --pa

    Pavel A., Jan 7, 2010
  6. Hi
    If you are using the Windows Wireless Manger.
    Look at the Warless configuration empty the preferred wireless List and
    uncheck the Automatically Connect.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Jan 8, 2010