    Can anyone explain why htis is happening? i am using the laptop well within
    the range of the router...is there any wayi can boost the signal??

    thanks in advance!!

    the_niner_nation, Jun 13, 2006

  2. the_niner_nation

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Maybe, the XP machine is roaming with Wireless Zero Configuration
    seeking out other wireless networks and is dropping your connection.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 13, 2006

  3. the_niner_nation

    doS Guest

    you make this sht up right?

    doS, Jun 13, 2006
  4. hi Duane...do you mena my lap top is roaming with a zero config? if so..how
    do i go about changing it?

    thanks for replying

    the_niner_nation, Jun 13, 2006
  5. Actually, Duane and I have had a little spat in the past, but now we're
    okay I think. He may very well be right. WZC sucks so bad that Mr. Gates
    should be ashamed (yet again). People with otherwise good connections
    have to wait while Windows keeps checking to see if there's a better
    network somewhere. I always turn off WZC.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 13, 2006
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 13, 2006
  7. the_niner_nation

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Denial-Of-Shit, you're a stupid ass Rope-A-Dope *clown* that don't know
    *jack* and should keep your mouth shut. ;-)

    Yours truly

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 13, 2006
  8. the_niner_nation

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@[email protected] spewed forth:
    That wasn't his MOUTH.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 13, 2006
  9. the_niner_nation

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Yes, I had that problem with my wireless laptop computer with using XP
    as it roamed and sought out other networks in the area and tried to connect.

    I disabled the Wireless Zero Configuration Service on XP, stopped using
    the card's utility to show signal strength - XP can do it and XP may not
    play well with the utility, downloaded the card's drivers from it's
    Website, installed diver and configured the wireless card through Device
    Manager.

    When I did the above, the wireless connection became as solid as a rock
    like it was when the machine was Win 2K.

    What can I say? It worked for me and the connection being dropped.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 13, 2006
  10. the_niner_nation

    pandamonium Guest

    Do you have a cordless phone base station close to the problem location
    of the router?

    pandamonium, Jun 13, 2006
  11. the_niner_nation

    Dan Evans Guest

    Don't count on it. I was testing new antennaes yesterday and wandering round
    the house/garden/street with the laptop and though it was showing connection
    to "dripping_gash" (the office router) at the bottom of the garden, it was
    actually connected to "minging_twat" (the one in the living room).

    And yes, that's the naming convention. If you war drive Barcelona, don't
    bother trying to connect to a network that has an obscene english name -
    they're mine and all locked down. One exception is "sweaty_arse" on Gran
    Via/Bruc - because "you can't reach us from street level, and no password
    makes it easy for us"

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 13, 2006
  12. no...but that being said, there are 3 cordless phone base stations within a
    30ft radius of the router....

    the_niner_nation, Jun 13, 2006
  13. Wouldn't that be a "yes" ?

    Turn them all off and see what your connection does.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 13, 2006
  14. I did turn them all of...it's not made any difference, the connection still
    keeps dropping :-|

    the_niner_nation, Jun 13, 2006
  15. the_niner_nation

    Mara Guest

    Did you change the channel your wireless is running on?

    Mara, Jun 13, 2006
  16. the_niner_nation

    Duane Arnold Guest

    So how much does it take to make the XP O/S stop roaming on the wireless?

    You might try flashing the router again with its firmware as that too
    will fix problems that you're having.

    You know you can always try a wireless NG.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 14, 2006