    have the latest router firmware and have the lease time set to 1 week.
    Desktop PC connected to router via cable seems to only get disconnected
    every few days.

    mentalguy2004, Apr 5, 2006

  2. mentalguy2004

    Leythos Guest

    For most wireless devices, the position directly above/below the antenna
    is not a good place to get a signal.

    Picture the antenna like a stick holding a doughnut, the signal radiates
    outward at a 45+ angle around the horizontal axis, provided the antenna
    is sticking straight up (90deg). Place the antenna in a angle where the
    doughnut cuts through most of the area where you sit, this will give a
    better signal.

    Some antenna have a different pattern, but many of them are like the
    doughnut.

    Leythos, Apr 5, 2006

  3. mentalguy2004

    Meat Plow Guest

    Make sure you are using only one wireless configuration utility. Running
    the adaptor's utility and Windows Zero Wireless configuration utility
    sometimes causes problems as I personally have found out.

    Meat Plow, Apr 5, 2006
  4. mentalguy2004

    Vince Guest

    I am also haveing this problem with my computers. Even though my
    antennaes are horizontal with the roughter. The computer says he is
    connected to the internet although when I open a browser it comes up
    with a error message saying that the name is wrong please check and try
    again or something to that affect. Could someone please help.

    Vince, Apr 5, 2006
  5. mentalguy2004

    Vince Guest

    How do you check to see if you are using more than one wireless
    configuration utility?

    Vince, Apr 5, 2006
  6. mentalguy2004

    Mitch Guest

    When something similar happened to me, it turned out my cable network
    adapter needed replacing.

    Mitch, Apr 5, 2006
  7. I use the XP wireless zero config utility now, I have disabled the linksys
    one as it was even more prone to dropping out. I do have about 6 different
    wireless networks appearing on my list, only one of which is mine. I am
    dying to connect to the "StarWars" and "Cooking" networks LOL. Must be the
    neighbours, they are a bit strange.

    I have seen some cheap remote controlled plug sockets, I am going to buy
    them and use one between the router and the power socket. At least I won't
    have to keep hiking upstairs to reboot it properly as there doesn't seem to
    be any other answer.

    mentalguy2004, Apr 6, 2006
  8. mentalguy2004

    JF Guest

    Another thing to try is update the firmware to the freshest version.
    Had many problem with the wireless here at work until I did the
    upgrade. No wireless related drops since.

    JohnF

    JF, Apr 6, 2006
  9. mentalguy2004

    Meat Plow Guest

    I had problems with Intel's ProSet utility and dumped it for XP Zero.
    Haven't had a connection dropped in months.

    Meat Plow, Apr 6, 2006