Wireless Connection Drops

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'm having a problem where I loose my Wireless connections shortly after
    connecting to it.
    ps. I'm a Wireless Rookie

    The only way I can make it come back is to go through the following:

    Network Connections
    right click on Wireless Network connection
    Properties
    Wireless Networks
    Check the box that says "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
    settings"

    I would have thought that once I checked this box, this would stay forever.
    If we restart the computer, or If we switch users on the computer (XP),
    I have to repeat this process.
    I have not turned any Security on, and am waiting until I get this problem
    fixed first.

    Any Help would be greatly appreciated

    It's real annoying

    Netgear Wireless Router and Desktop PC Card
    Windows XP

    Guest, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Guest

    Malke Guest

    Here are a few things to try:

    1. Make sure that the wireless adapter is not set to use power
    management features. Go to its entry in Device Manager and double-click
    it to get its Properties. Now look on the Power Management tab and make
    sure allowing Windows to turn off the device is not checked.

    2. Update the drivers for the wireless adapter from the mftr.'s website.

    3. Check on Netgear's website for your particular router model and see
    if there are any known issues and if you have to update the firmware.

    4. When you installed the wireless adapter, it probably came with a
    wireless management program. Start that program and look in its
    Preferences. If there is a place to check "allow Windows to manage
    wireless connections", make sure you've done that.

    Malke

    Malke, Jan 7, 2005

  3. Guest

    Ken Wright Guest