    works. Is my desktop lacking some kind of hardware a network card or
    something? I know it's just my ignorance so if someone could direct me.

    Thanks

    Guest, Jun 22, 2006

  2. Guest

    Malke Guest

    Setting up your local area network (lan) has nothing to do with whether
    you have some machines connecting wirelessly or wired. Since I don't
    know what you did, here is my standard network problems boilerplate:

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
    Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
    on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke

    Malke, Jun 22, 2006

  3. Guest

    Jeannine Guest

    Does this mean NOT TO RUN THE Wireless set up wizard?

    Jeannine, Jun 23, 2006
  4. Guest

    Malke Guest

    Does *what* mean not to run the wireless setup wizard? The OP asked about
    file sharing, not about setting up his wireless. Sharing files and printers
    in a local area network doesn't have anything to do with whether the
    machines are connected to the lan wirelessly or wired.

    Malke

    Malke, Jun 23, 2006