Wireless Clients Cannot Connect to Each Other

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by tom, May 8, 2006.

  1. tom

    tom Guest

    Using a 871W, the clients on the wireless segment cannot connect to
    each other (same subnet). Here is the relevant part of the config:

    -----------------------
    !
    interface Dot11Radio0
    no ip address
    !
    encryption key 1 size 40bit 7 XXXXXXXXX transmit-key
    encryption mode wep mandatory
    !
    ssid myssid
    authentication open
    !
    speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 6.0 9.0 basic-11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0
    36.0 48.0 54.0
    station-role root
    no dot11 extension aironet
    l2-filter bridge-group-acl
    no cdp enable
    bridge-group 1
    bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control
    bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source
    no bridge-group 1 source-learning
    no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding
    !
    interface Vlan1
    description $ETH-SW-LAUNCH$$INTF-INFO-HWIC 4ESW$$FW_INSIDE$
    no ip address
    ip tcp adjust-mss 1452
    bridge-group 1
    !
    interface BVI1
    description $ES_LAN$$FW_INSIDE$
    ip address 192.168.0.3 255.255.255.0
    ip nat inside
    ip virtual-reassembly
    ip tcp adjust-mss 1452
    !
    !
    control-plane
    !
    bridge 1 protocol ieee
    bridge 1 route ip

    tom, May 8, 2006

  2. tom

    BG Guest

    BG, May 8, 2006

  3. tom

    Merv Guest

    Using a 871W, the clients on the wireless segment cannot connect to each other (same subnet).

    1. Can EACH of the wireless workstation in question ping the BVI IP
    address 192.168.0.3 ???

    2. What does arp -a ( command windows) show on a given wirless
    workstation when you ping one of the other wireless workstations ?

    Merv, May 8, 2006
  4. tom

    tom Guest

    1. Can EACH of the wireless workstation in question ping the BVI IP
    Yes, each can get to their gateway of 192.168.0.03
    Tried this - they do not have each other's MAC in their arp cache.
    Just that of 192.168.0.3
    Nope - that is not in the config

    Further ideas?

    Thanks

    tom, May 8, 2006
  5. tom

    Merv Guest

    Do you have a firewall enabled on these clients ?

    If so disable it

    Merv, May 8, 2006
  6. tom

    tom Guest

    Do you have a firewall enabled on these clients ?
    That was the first thing I checked, and no it is not enabled.

    tom, May 8, 2006
  7. tom

    Merv Guest

    post the output of show version

    Merv, May 8, 2006
  8. tom

    tom Guest

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)YI, RELEASE SOFTWARE
    ROM: Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version
    12.3(8)YI
    2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    System image file is "flash:c870-advsecurityk9-mz.123-8.YI2.bin"

    Cisco 871W (MPC8272) processor (revision 0x100) with 118784K/12288K
    bytes of mem
    ory.
    Processor board ID FHK094811EN
    MPC8272 CPU Rev: Part Number 0xC, Mask Number 0x10
    5 FastEthernet interfaces
    1 802.11 Radio
    24576K bytes of processor board System flash (Intel Strataflash)

    Configuration register is 0x2102

    tom, May 8, 2006
  9. tom

    Merv Guest

    The release you are uisng does not show on CCO anymore

    The next release after yours is a deferred release ( read junked)

    You might want to consider upgrading to see if that addresses your
    issue.

    Deferred Release (DF)
    12.3.8-YI1 (DF)

    Early Deployment (ED)
    12.3.14-YT1 (ED)
    12.3.14-YT (ED)
    12.3.8-YI3 (ED)
    12.3.8-YI2 (ED)

    Merv, May 8, 2006
  10. tom

    tom Guest

    You might want to consider upgrading to see if that addresses your
    issue.

    Hm, well - easier said than done, but I appreciate the time you've put
    into this. It was purchased through the academy, and of course doesn't
    have maintenance.

    -tom

    tom, May 8, 2006
  11. tom

    Merv Guest

    It was purchased through the academy, and of course doesn't have maintenance.

    ;-(((

    Can a wireless client ping a device on one of the wired ports on the
    871W - should have asked that question before ?

    I wonder if the 871W is not rebroadcasting the ARP requests received
    from wireless clients ?

    Unless the wirless client get ARP replies then no communication is
    going to occur.

    You could try hard coding ARP enties on the end workstation to see if
    that is the issue.

    (arp -s command)

    Merv, May 8, 2006
  12. tom

    tom Guest

    Can a wireless client ping a device on one of the wired ports on the 871W

    Good question, and I will have to answer it when I am near the
    hardware. I'll post results.

    Thanks.

    tom, May 8, 2006