    I would like to go wireless for her. I am sure it has the slot for the
    card or can a person use the newer USB hook ups for wireless
    connection?

    bdeditch, Nov 13, 2007

  2. bdeditch

    richard Guest

    usb wireless is fine. I just bought a new one for mine and it works just
    great. I also have a card but it seems that the usb antenna is a bit more
    flexible for getting signals with. It's easier to move around than the
    laptop. Besides, I can easily swap it between a laptop and a desktop with
    ease.

    richard, Nov 13, 2007

  3. That little wireless adaptor is fragile and sticks way out, is easily
    knocked and damaged or can damage the USB slot in your MB. Some USB slots
    are on the side, others are in the back-- for me, the ones in the back are
    worse because you can't see them and forget they're there.

    Joseph Wheeler, Nov 14, 2007
  4. bdeditch

    olfart Guest

    That's why you put the USB adapter on the end on a cable

    olfart, Nov 14, 2007
  5. bdeditch

    Hawkeye65 Guest

    There are 2 types of USB wi-fi hookups. One is an external antennae that you
    can place away from the puter (usually about 6-8"), and the other one is
    similar to a USB thumbdrive. That one is the one I would think would be more
    prone to getting broken, or bent, since you might not be able to see it too
    well and forget it is attached.

    M2CW,
    Hawkeye65

    Hawkeye65, Nov 14, 2007
  6. bdeditch

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    That's why you put the USB adapter on the end of a USB cable

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 14, 2007
  7. .....so it can swing/dangle and catch on something-- possibly yanking the
    laptop out of your hand sending it crashing to the floor...

    Get a PCMCIA card fer Pete's sakes......

    Joseph Wheeler, Nov 14, 2007
  8. bdeditch

    Brian Cryer Guest

    IF the laptop can take an internal wireless card then that will be the most
    convenient for you. USB (or PCMCIA) wireless card may be cheaper and will
    work just as well, but are more likely to get knocked. Frankly, depending on
    how you work, they can be a nusience. I have both on different laptops (work
    and home) and I find internal much more convenient.

    Brian Cryer, Nov 14, 2007
  9. bdeditch

    M.L. Guest

    Wife has a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop that was purchased in Nov. 2005.
    According to the PCmag review below, 802.11g wireless is built-in to
    that laptop.

    M.L., Nov 16, 2007