Wireless card fails to pick up DHCP address from ICS

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jim Florence, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Jim Florence

    Jim Florence Guest

    Hi,

    Got a strange problem.

    I have a long time running ICS gateway, XP pro, US Robotics 22Mb wireless
    AP.

    I have a laptop,running XP Home, which has been running through the gatway
    for a year and is still working.

    I have a recently aquired Ipaq which quite happily pocks up a DHCP
    address,via wireless, and can quite happily see shared files and surf the
    web.

    The problem is a new Dell I have just installed. I have tried 2 different
    wireless cards, a 3 Com and a Belkin, and both cant pick up DHCP.If I give
    the card a static address I can happily surf the web and see my shared
    internet connection but I cant see my shared files or printer.

    I disabled, or thought I did, Nitro mode on the Belkin and got a DHCP
    address once. Cant actually replicate the trick now

    I do run Outpost firewall on the gateway but this had been disabled to test
    this.

    Any pointers gratefully recieved as I'm getting nowhere fast at the moment

    Regards

    Jim Florence

    Jim Florence, Aug 23, 2004

  2. Jim Florence

    mike Guest

    try netbui protocol
    mike

    mike, Aug 24, 2004

  3. Jim Florence

    Jim Florence Guest

    Mike,

    Thanks for the pointer but unfortunately it doesn't help.

    The static addrss works if you map to the machine, the real issur for me is
    why I'm not getting a DHCP address from the ICS server

    Cheers

    Jim

    Jim Florence, Aug 26, 2004