Wireless Bridge VS Wireless Access Point for DVR connection to wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mark, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi.

    I have a question to ask the group and hope I get some direction in which
    way I should proceed...

    I have a new Replay TV box that has an Ethernet port which I can use to
    connect it to my wireless network. It's downstairs and my wireless router is
    upstairs. By connecting the unit to my home network, I can dump the programs
    over to my PC and burn the ones I want to keep to DVD so I can purge the
    older recorded material off the DVR. I know I can get a wireless
    bridge/gaming adapter to plug the unit into but was wondering if a wireless
    access point would also work? I see that most of the wireless access points
    have an Ethernet port as well like this one I spotted on Ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5847245231&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

    Question 1: Would this work if I were to plug the unit into the Ethernet
    port on a wireless access point the same as a wireless bridge?
    Question 2: Would my wireless router see the access point without being
    connected via cable? (I thought a wireless access point could expand the
    current router's coverage area)

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in Advance!

    Mark, Dec 28, 2005