Wireless Bridge Question?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by sskl1998, Aug 7, 2005.

  1. sskl1998

    sskl1998 Guest

    What is the difference between between a wireless access point and a
    wireless bridge? The cable modem and the wireless router is located in my
    home office on the main floor. How do I share the Internet connection with
    my wife's and my children's PCs on the second floor? Should I use a
    wireless bridge? Can I connect a switch or a hub to the bridge?
    sskl1998, Aug 7, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. sskl1998

    Jack Guest


    In general a Wireless connection is between a Computer with Wireless Client
    card (PCI, or PCMCIA, or USB) and a Wireless Cable/DSL Router (or Access

    Due to the Marketing "Geniuses" of the Brands that sell Entry Level Wireless
    there is a lot of confusion about Bridging. Two Access Points can work as a
    bridge between to Networks (or two location of one Network) when Access
    Points are working as bridges a client Wireless can not connect to them.

    Few Brands sell some thing that they call Group Bridge, and it has nothing
    to do with the above Bridge.

    Group Bridge is usually a Wireless Client Card that does not need Drivers,
    thus it can be used with games boxes and similar devices that can not load
    software drivers, you can use it with a computer too, but it is more
    expensive than regular Wireless Card.

    In your case a Group Bridge is a good solution since you can plug it to a
    switch and connect the PCs to it.

    The Content of the following pages might provide additional info.

    Wireless Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

    Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging

    Jack (MVP-Networking)
    Jack, Aug 7, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.