    home office on the main floor. How do I share the Internet connection with
    my wife's and my children's PCs on the second floor? Should I use a
    wireless bridge? Can I connect a switch or a hub to the bridge?

    sskl1998, Aug 7, 2005

  2. sskl1998

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    In general a Wireless connection is between a Computer with Wireless Client
    card (PCI, or PCMCIA, or USB) and a Wireless Cable/DSL Router (or Access
    Point).

    Due to the Marketing "Geniuses" of the Brands that sell Entry Level Wireless
    there is a lot of confusion about Bridging. Two Access Points can work as a
    bridge between to Networks (or two location of one Network) when Access
    Points are working as bridges a client Wireless can not connect to them.

    Few Brands sell some thing that they call Group Bridge, and it has nothing
    to do with the above Bridge.

    Group Bridge is usually a Wireless Client Card that does not need Drivers,
    thus it can be used with games boxes and similar devices that can not load
    software drivers, you can use it with a computer too, but it is more
    expensive than regular Wireless Card.

    In your case a Group Bridge is a good solution since you can plug it to a
    switch and connect the PCs to it.

    The Content of the following pages might provide additional info.

    Wireless Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

    Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging

    Jack (MVP-Networking)

    Jack, Aug 7, 2005