Wireless bridge advice needed, please

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Hugh Newbury, Nov 19, 2007.

  1. Hugh Newbury

    Hugh Newbury Guest

    Hi:

    I'm running a network around a Netgear DG834G v.3 router. I need to link
    an ancient Dell laptop/basestation wirelessly to the router.

    I have been using a Linksys ethernet bridge WET54G ver.2, a hangover
    from when I was using a Linksys router. But it cannot contact the
    Netgear router and I think it's broken, like the Linksys router.

    Netgear have various wireless bridges: PCcard2, USB2 dongle, but the
    Dell has only PCcard1 and USB1. However, it does have a NIC in the
    basestation, which I was using for the Linksys bridge. Is there nowadays
    a device that I can get that will use the NIC? Something more reliable
    than the Linksys would be nice: I'm reluctant to buy another Linksys
    bridge on the offchance (a) that it will work, and (b) that it will
    still be working after a year or two.

    What do people suggest?

    TIA for any advice.

    Hugh

    Hugh Newbury, Nov 19, 2007

  2. Hugh Newbury

    Conor Guest

    Firstly, make sure you're using your Linksys in "Client Mode" as I
    think that's the problem.

    How old is the laptop? My sons Dell C600 Pentium 3 jobbie runs PCMCIA
    Wifi adapters fine and has run a USB Wifi dongle fine even though it's
    USB1. I think you're getting a bit too hung up on the V2/V1 issues with
    the PC Cards and USB.

    If you want something that uses the NIC, you can use a Netgear WG602 in
    "Client Mode" - they're about £35.

    Conor, Nov 19, 2007

  3. Hugh Newbury

    Alex Fraser Guest

    Are you reasonably convinced that the WET54G is broken? In other words, do
    you think
    USB2 devices are backwards compatible with USB1.1 so a USB2 adaptor such as
    the WG111 should work, although the fact that the laptop doesn't support
    USB2 will limit transfer speeds to something like 8Mbit/s (around 25% of
    what you would get with USB2 for LAN transfers, eg file sharing, with a good
    signal). If networking is primarily for Internet use or you rarely transfer
    large files this is probably not an issue.

    A PCMCIA one (eg WG511) is also likely to be compatible and would avoid the
    speed issue. More details on the laptop might enable compatibility to be
    confirmed.
    I can't beat Conor's suggestion of a WG602 in client mode - assuming it is
    supported.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Nov 19, 2007
  4. Hugh Newbury