    Anyone tried this sort of thing - are they effective?
    Any other advice on improving range would be welcomed.

    PP

    Paul Parr, May 31, 2006

  2. Hi
    Can not tell until you try.
    Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific Environment. In most
    cases, there is No Magic Hardware that can solve Distance issues.
    Look at these pages they describe most of the options that are within the
    means of Entry Level users, and choose the one that fits you environment
    best.
    Extending the Distance of Entry Level Wireless Network -
    http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html
    Wirelessly Bridging Home/SOHO Network - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    Hi Gain Antenna for Entry Level Wireless -
    http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
    The most common solutions used in a Professional Environment involves the
    use of multiple units (Access Point) connected with wire to the Network, or
    setting a WDS Network. To ensure proper work of WDS the communicating
    Wireless units should be of the same manufacturer,
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 31, 2006

  3. Paul Parr

    Kevin Guest

    While boosters can work miracles, make sure the placement of the router is
    optimized for maximum area coverage. As an example, I have seen routers
    simply sitting on top of the desktop computer and having limited range
    benefit from being placed on a high shelf. A friend had to install his
    router in a common hallway so all the bedrooms and the rest of the house
    could get a better signal.

    Kevin, May 31, 2006
  4. Paul Parr

    Mike G Guest

    I tried one of those antennas for my (ex)linksys router because it had no
    external antenna. The external antenna made no difference two rooms away.

    Mike G, May 31, 2006
  5. Paul Parr

    JP Bless Guest