Wireless ad hoc network: 2nd PC not getting IP on network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Miles, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. Miles

    Miles Guest

    I've put together a simple home network like this:

    broadband cable modem
    ¦
    VOIP phone gateway SVA-600
    ¦
    PC#1 )))) (ad hoc wireless connection) (((( PC#2

    Both PCs are running Windows XP SP2 and have D-Link DWL-G510 PCI wireless
    network cards. I've used the D-Link configuration utility to set both cards
    to ad hoc mode, set up an SSID and got the two devices to connect (the "D"
    in the utility turns green).

    Data encryption is disabled, and I've turned off all firewalls on both
    machines for the moment.

    I then ran the Windows XP network setup wizard on PC#1, to enable internet
    connection, file and printer sharing on the network. I said PC#1 was
    connected directly to the internet. I then ran the wizard on PC#2, saying
    that it connected to the internet through another computer.

    The second PC is not given an IP address on the network. I tried repairing
    the connection several times, but each time it's given an IP starting with
    169, when it should be 192.168.88.101 (PC#1 is 192.168.88.100. The gateway
    is 192.168.88.1). I tried manually entering the IP setting details, but PC#2
    still could not ping any other device on the network.

    I am pretty new to this, so if anyone could explain how I should go about
    setting up the above network, I'd be very grateful.

    Miles, Aug 22, 2006

  2. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 23, 2006

  3. Miles

    Miles Guest

    I've uninstalled the D-link software, and used Windows to configure the
    wireless settings. Set it up as per the tutorial you linked to. The
    connection appears to be there, however:

    I ran the Network setup wizard again on both PCs.

    PC#2 still ends up with a 169.*.*.* IP, can't connect to the internet,
    doesn't appear in the "view workgroup computers", and can't ping PC#1 or the
    gateway.

    Tomorrow I'll try removing the VoIP adapterm, to see if the network will
    work in its most basic form.

    Miles, Aug 24, 2006
  4. Miles

    Miles Guest

    Well, I've done this now. This time I can sucessfully share files between
    the two computers, but PC#2 still cannot access the shared internet
    connection!

    (For info, both computers have the wireless network connection with
    169.254.x.x addresses).

    Miles, Aug 25, 2006
  5. Miles

    Miles Guest

    Finally got everything working (for those that may be interested).

    Manually configured the wireless adapters on PC#1 to 192.168.0.1 and PC#2 to
    192.168.0.2. Then set the default gateway on PC#2 to 192.168.0.1, and
    entered in the IPs of my ISP's DNS servers.

    Miles, Aug 31, 2006