Wireless Access Point with Radius Server > authentication?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have the following set-up: small office network connected through a switch
    with ADSL modem and wireless access point connected. Some desktops connect
    through UTP, most laptops use WiFi. No designated server.

    I use the internal DHCP server of the ADSL modem. The DHCP server of the AP
    has been disabled. The AP (Edimax 7207APg) has an internal Radius server, but
    I am confused about its configuration.

    How can I set-up this AP, so that 'external' WiFi users need to authenticate
    with a username and password before accessing the network? In the
    configuration of the internal Radius server, a list of usernames and
    passwords can be entered, but how does that relate to Authentication Client
    table and Client IP with shared secret key? And how does all of that relate
    to encryption security (WEP, WPA, IEEE 802.11 or else)? And what settings do
    the laptop users need to apply?

    Most laptops use Windows XP SP2, some are Apple Ibooks.

    Many thanks

    Guest, Dec 23, 2004