    I plan to purchase a Wireless Router and Wiress Adapter. So what different
    between Wireless-B and
    Wireless-G?

    James Luu, Jan 3, 2005

  2. James Luu

    Toolman Tim Guest

    |I plan to purchase a Wireless Router and Wiress Adapter. So what different
    | between Wireless-B and
    | Wireless-G?

    G is faster. B is 11mps, G is 54mps, IIRC. If it's for broadband Internet,
    it's likely to be moot. Both are faster than most ISPs will upload to your
    system. If you plan on sharing files locally, faster is better.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 3, 2005

  3. James Luu

    Dan DiNicolo Guest

    Another side benefit is that G equipment is backwards compatible with B
    equipment - so, if you have a laptop with a G card, you'll still be able to
    connect to both G and B networks should you ever roam

    Dan DiNicolo, Jan 3, 2005
  4. James Luu

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | > different
    | > | between Wireless-B and
    | > | Wireless-G?
    | > |
    | > G is faster. B is 11mps, G is 54mps, IIRC. If it's for broadband
    Internet,
    | > it's likely to be moot. Both are faster than most ISPs will upload to
    your
    | > system. If you plan on sharing files locally, faster is better.
    | >

    | Another side benefit is that G equipment is backwards compatible with B
    | equipment - so, if you have a laptop with a G card, you'll still be able
    | connect to both G and B networks should you ever roam

    Quite true. And another thing I'd consider before replacing my current "G"
    card in the laptop is to get one that's WAP compatible as well. My router
    is, but the card isn't, so I'm still on WEP.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 3, 2005
  5. I think you mean WPA ... but close enough. WAP refers to Wireless Access
    Point.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 3, 2005
  6. James Luu

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    |
    | > Quite true. And another thing I'd consider before replacing my current
    "G"
    | > card in the laptop is to get one that's WAP compatible as well. My
    router
    | > is, but the card isn't, so I'm still on WEP.
    |
    | I think you mean WPA ... but close enough. WAP refers to Wireless Access
    | Point.

    Yep - you're right. It's that "end of a three day weekend brain fart" thing
    again <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 3, 2005
  7. James Luu

    DC Guest

    /me lighting a match and cracking open a window

    DC, Jan 3, 2005
  8. James Luu

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | >|
    | > "G"
    | > router
    | >|
    | >| I think you mean WPA ... but close enough. WAP refers to Wireless
    Access
    | >| Point.
    |
    | > Yep - you're right. It's that "end of a three day weekend brain fart"
    thing
    | > again <g>
    |
    | /me lighting a match and cracking open a window

    "Everyone DUCK! It's gonna blow!!!"

    Toolman Tim, Jan 3, 2005