Wired Network Troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Robo, Feb 13, 2013.

  1. Robo

    Robo

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2013
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi All,

    I will do my best to explain this as I am not up on all of the networking lingo.

    I recently moved into my newly built home. I have been unable to get ahold of the network installer and would really like to get everything hooked up.

    The entire house was prewired with network cable and data ports in each room of the house with a switch (On-Q) in a panel in the basement.

    I currently have wireless access using USB adaptors and mobile devices, but I cannot plug an Ethernet cable into any data port as they do not connect.

    Here is my current setup...

    My modem is plugged into the coax cable (cable internet) and I have an Ethernet cable running from the modem to my router (internet port on the router). I do not know what to do from this point. I have tried running an Ethernet cable from the router to the "Line In" port on the switch, but this does not seem to work. I have tried a few different variations, but nothing seems to allow the hard wired data ports to connect.

    At one point I had the router plugged directly into a wall data port and was able to connect to the router, but was unable to get an internet connection.

    Sorry for the limited info.

    Thanks!

    Robo, Feb 13, 2013

  2. Robo

    Robo

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2013
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    By the way...

    I think the "switch" is a Legrand 8x8 Enhanced Combo Module, Security
    #364400-13

    Sorry I cannot post links until post number 10.

    Thanks!

    Robo, Feb 13, 2013

  3. Robo

    LisaC930

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2013
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Have you been able to connect to the internet at all (without going to the switch)? You could be having issues getting the router to connect to the modem. If you haven't tried yet, connect one of your computers directly to the router and test everything out. It may also be that your "switch" is acting like a router and basically blocking everything out. If you keep having issues, I would contact your cable provider, they will definitely know how connect everything, but it may cost. What is the model of the Router and Modem?

    LisaC930, Feb 25, 2013
  4. Robo

    LisaC930

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2013
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    have you tried running the Ethernet cable directly from the modem to the switch?

    LisaC930, Feb 25, 2013