    Is this normal or did I do something wrong??
    The wireless Linksys-N network is working as expected.

    Stan

    STAN1ZX, Sep 25, 2007

  2. Turn off the wireless nic before pluging in the cable.
    Sometimes it is a switch on the machine,..sometimes it is a function key
    combination,...sometimes you can right-click on the wireless connection (in
    several places) and choose "Disable".

    You don't want to have two network interfaces active on the same Network
    Segment at the same time.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Sep 25, 2007

  3. Hi
    You can set the preference so that it would work with the wired connection
    when it is available.
    Here how, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 25, 2007
  4. STAN1ZX

    STAN1ZX Guest

    Hi Jack and Phillip,
    Thanks for responding to my post.
    Before I start and before I bring this machine down to less than square 1.
    I need your advice on the following.
    The machine in question is XP tabletop, which originally was wired from the
    Ethernet on the PC
    to the Ethernet on the modem.
    I have since installed a PCI wireless card on this XP machine to work it
    through a wireless Linksys router.
    In the process of setting this up, the wireless card worked right up to
    the "access point but could not
    get through the router".
    Eventually I had to use the "Windows Zero Config Utility" to get it setup.
    and working through the wireless card to the modem.
    In trying to determine if I still had wired Ethernet function on this XP
    desktop, by wiring directly from the Ethernet connector on the PC to the
    Ethernet on the modem, I found that the desktop could not see the
    modem.even after going through its self diagnostics. Apparently, this
    connectivity on the PC is lost.
    Given this scenario, is there anything else I should know about or do before
    starting the outlined procedure to maintain the wireless connectivity and
    rebuild the Ethernet? Hopefully ending up with a working wireless
    connection to the wireless router and Ethernet capability when needed.
    Thanks
    Stan

    Phillip Windell, Sep 26, 2007