    Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree. The older computer doesn't have
    hardware for modern security protocols like WPA. My idea was to bypass that
    by wiring it but have modern security on the one I move around the house.

    JimL, Dec 16, 2009

  2. JimL

    Char Jackson Guest

    Sure, that should work fine. What problem are you having? Providing
    the output of "ipconfig /all" from the 'desktop' laptop would be
    helpful.

    Char Jackson, Dec 16, 2009

  3. JimL

    JimL Guest

    I did a disable on the wireless connection and an enable on the wired
    connection. The other computer was in the workgroup before the switch but
    not after it.

    Now after leaving for hours and coming back it seems to be working. Could
    it take hours for something to "take?"

    JimL, Dec 16, 2009
  4. JimL

    Char Jackson Guest

    No, the old connection just took awhile to time out. There are a
    couple of ways to make the switch happen faster, but the command
    syntax is slipping my mind right now. You can always ping the other
    machine from the newly-enabled interface to refresh the ARP table,
    which should make the other machine visible to the workgroup.

    Anyway, now that you have one machine wired and the other wireless,
    perhaps it's a moot point.

    Char Jackson, Dec 17, 2009
  5. JimL

    josephpaul

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2009
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    People always face problem about internet service or computer and laptop hardware service. Today, most of the employers and businesses men go for computer or IT support Los Angeles services to handle the issues related with computer and network support. It is always good to go for such services rather than facing the hassles that are associated with bringing your computer to a computer repair center.

    josephpaul, Dec 25, 2009