Wiping Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by mcp6453, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    mcp6453, Dec 23, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Trey Guest

    I use a 3/8" drill bit at work. Or we take them to the steel shredder, and
    watch them go bye bye.

    Ether way, the data is pretty much gone, but ether way, the drive is not
    very useable.

    Trey, Dec 23, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    derek / nul Guest

    Err, win98 boot disk, and fdisk

    derek / nul, Dec 23, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    Robert Baer Guest

    Sorry; the data will be accessable.

    Robert Baer, Dec 23, 2004
  5. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    what brand of harddrive? Often the manufacturer will have a zero-fill
    utility.

    Thor, Dec 23, 2004
  6. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Multiple brands. The one I posted is zero-fill, but it is only one pass.

    mcp6453, Dec 23, 2004
  7. mcp6453

    WebWalker Guest

    Try to use the HD utility (download from HD maker site) called
    Zero-fill or Low level formatting.

    WebWalker, Dec 23, 2004
  8. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    should be good enough, unless you have secrets of national security on there
    guy. :) Even after one pass it should be destroyed to a degree that would
    make it extrordinarily unlikely that anything would be retrievable short of
    radical techniques.

    Thor, Dec 23, 2004
  9. mcp6453

    JD Guest

    Sand blast the surface of the drive .. what you got on there anyway ?..
    anything illegal ?.. several thousand mp3`s ? porn ? top secret documents
    for the assembly of a nuclear weapon's ?

    without low level formating or such you could use pgp for erasing the data
    its free and works well .. i remember some years ago writing a small app
    in assembly for doing such a task .. its really not that difficult.

    use fdisk format the drive then put a different file system on it eg if
    you have fat/32 format and put ntfs on it (or vice versa)

    just my two pence worth anyway.

    JD, Dec 23, 2004
  10. mcp6453

    Trey Guest

    Its not that hard to write a program that would fill the entire HD with a
    number sequence. Just format the drive, write the numbers over the whole HD,
    then format again for a blank HD.

    I cant think of A: anything on my HD that is soo confidential that I would
    have to do more then a wipe, write, wipe. and B: I can not think of anyone
    that I would give the HD to that would ether be advanced enough to recover
    data after that, or who would want to. HDs are so cheap these days, no one I
    know would even want an old 40 gig or 80 gig drive.

    Trey, Dec 23, 2004
  11. mcp6453

    Beachcomber Guest

    Some of the old PGP programs (I use 6.0.2i) are not fully compatible
    with Win XP, but they do contain the tools, specifically PGP TOOLS,
    that do the multiple wipes, should you think that you absolutely need
    it. There is also a free space wiper in this version.

    Libraries of different versions of PGP are available on the net...

    Beachcomber

    Beachcomber, Dec 23, 2004
  12. mcp6453

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Why you helping him? you haven't got a clue what's on his comp.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Dec 23, 2004
  13. mcp6453

    JD Guest

    I have to agree with you there.

    I do however use a raid setup with a HARDWARE encryption device attached
    to it (64Bit DES on each drive in raid 0) not for any particular security
    reason.

    JD, Dec 23, 2004
  14. mcp6453

    Trey Guest

    Because he asked, and its a rather common issue. Every summer, we get
    100-150 new computers, and have to send 100-150 computers back to the lease
    company. After four years of use in the office, there are often confidential
    files on the machines that we do not want to leave the building. Grinding
    the hard drives for a lease return is not a very good option. Whiping them,
    writing a random pattern then whiping again is the only solution.

    Not everyone that wants a cleared drive is a criminal.

    Trey, Dec 23, 2004
  15. mcp6453

    Trey Guest

    Who makes it? That would be fun to set up... why? "because you can" right?
    :)

    Trey, Dec 23, 2004
  16. mcp6453

    The One Guest

    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    The One, Dec 24, 2004
  17. mcp6453

    The One Guest

    Ponography leaves its mark.

    The One, Dec 24, 2004
  18. mcp6453

    JD Guest

    Abit make it .. "Abit Secure IDE" is the product name and "because you
    can" yup thats right! same reason i have a home network same reason I have
    a BSD server .. same reason I come to newsgroups.

    :)

    JD, Dec 24, 2004
  19. mcp6453

    JD Guest

    As does the Troll !

    JD, Dec 24, 2004
  20. mcp6453

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I know what your saying Trey, and not everyone that wants a cleared drive is
    a criminal. All these posts and the OP hasn't replied back concerning why
    he wants it wiped. I know it's not any of our business, but he's obviously
    got something on his comp and wants to get rid of it for good. As Thor said
    1 wipe is good enough unless your worried about the authorities knocking on
    your door. Or he might just want a clean HD, who knows...
    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Dec 24, 2004