Wiping data from drive question

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Doofus McFly, Jun 14, 2006.

  1. Doofus McFly

    kony Guest

    A thing called "science", or "proof" does though.

    I never refused to accept that "IF" someone used a very
    strong encryption, and "IF" the only method of getting that
    data was brute force cracking, it could take far too long,
    astronomical amounts of time. Those are quite narrowly
    defined conditions, not encryption in itself but a degree of
    more restrictons in fact. Same applies to random multipass
    overwriting, it's not some sorta loose concept, there are in
    fact recognized standards which nobody has been able to
    recover from. So on one hand we have data that still
    exists but is either very hard to decrypt, or much easier
    depending on the method available (I for one would not start
    out trying to brute force the encryption, that would be the
    last resort). On the other hand, we have a proper overwrite
    which has no possible alternate method of access, has no
    reasonable expectation that it's only a matter of time or
    expense.

    Maybe, but even if we want to indulge all the optimists out
    there that think "someday, anything will be possible", we're
    still left having nobody that can recover proper mulitplass
    random overwritten data. Maybe in 50 years they'll be able
    to. Will the supposed remaining remnants of magnetism (IOW,
    supposed to possibly correlate to some level of the past
    data writes) be intact on a 50 year old platter? Likely
    even any data that hadn't been overwritten at all would be
    difficult to read at that point.

    kony, Jul 2, 2006

  2. What you've done, korn-dog, is start out babbling about encrypting
    being breakable and wiping be impossible to recover from, then back
    peddle to this laughable "I never said" tap dance in some pathetic
    effort to win a point that you pissed away the minute your fingers hit
    the keyboard to bang out your very first bit of idiocy.

    First of all, wiping and encryption are two different tools for two
    different jobs. But as they relate to keeping your data out of the
    hands of your attacker in the REAL world encryption is so far beyond
    the capabilities of so called "wiping" it's not even a comparison.

    You can wipe files all day long and because there's not a file wiping
    utility on the planet that knows about every nook and cranny where a PC
    might hide files you could be completely wasting your time. Any third
    rate attacker could fire up any freely available forensics tool and
    have your "wiped" files right in front of him in a few minutes.

    If you encrypt the drive though, it's going to take them a damn lot
    longer than it's worth to get ANY of that data. Unless you hand over
    your keys, but then they can beat a confession out of you whether you
    wipe a file or not too. In fact with the real world chances of having
    "wiped" files partially or fully recoverable, it's probably better if
    you DO confess and save yourself the extra obstruction or contempt
    charge added on to your already long prison term.

    <rest of your pathetic strawgrabbing babble snipped>

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Jul 2, 2006

  3. KoRny is notorious for dodging and weaving and inventing
    tiny little exceptions to everything as a way out of the corners
    he argues himself into. Just drop the subject. We all know
    he's a self-righteous pontificating blow-hard.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Jul 2, 2006
  4. Doofus McFly

    kony Guest

    Thanks for trolling by.

    kony, Jul 2, 2006
  5. Doofus McFly

    kony Guest

    No Tim I actually consider DETAILS. In them is where the
    different lies. You on the other hand think it's too
    difficult to even string coax cable. Why? Because you
    can't grasp the finer details of anything unless coaxed to
    do it.

    kony, Jul 2, 2006