Wiping a Hard Drive

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by MF, Nov 11, 2004.

  1. MF

    MF Guest

    Hence my dilemma. Someone on in another ng suggested a neodymium magnet,
    whose cost from mfgrs is the same as the hard drive, but can be had on ebay
    for about half that. I just emailed a couple sellers, asking them if it
    would erase a dead hd, but, idiotically, forgot to stipulate " with the
    cover left on." There is a machine that the mfgr claims will do it, but
    it costs 2423.56. It's a bulk tape eraser, and i;ve lost the link. It's a
    bulk tape eraser made for high coercivity cartridges, and warns that when
    used with a hard drive it the vibrations will destroy the heads. Did not,
    however, mention any exterior damage.
    This is probably true. Very probably. But sometimes things will work even
    when ostensibly required precisions are missed, slightly. And I was
    thinking earlier, when debating this very question, jeezus, there are even
    pictures of my drivers license and birth certificate on that drive. which,
    again, leads to eating the sixty bucks, not a big problem, but, still, not
    one I like (imagine someone coming up to you and relieving you of sixty
    bucks) and foregoing the satisfaction of getting WD to make good for a lousy
    product. This is an enormous emotional problem. I obviously need to invest
    in a bio-feedback machine and zen myself out.

    Unless I can find out more about those neo magnets, as they are called..
    they have n numbers.... and the ebay guys are advertising higher n numbers
    and lower cost! what a deal.....

    Mike

    MF, Nov 20, 2004

  2. MF

    MF Guest

    pepsi pepsi. nah, not together. this shoulda been on the a+ test.

    metaphor is a direct, unstated comparison: image of roads going downtown:
    rivers of light converged on a huge, dark, blinking mass of iniquity.

    simile is a stated comparison: the prongs of the expressway converged on
    sin city like rivers of light emptying into a huge, bedraggled christmas
    tree, still blinking in the aftermath of the election.

    oh well, the election's over. in a metaphor you don't state the "real"
    object of the comparison; in a simile, you do.
    vive ca-na-da
    Mike

    MF, Nov 20, 2004

  3. MF

    Jonathan L Guest

    Try going to your local metal recycling facility. If that big magnet
    can pick up a 1970's model Cadi, it out to do something to the data on
    that drive.

    Jonathan L, Nov 25, 2004
  4. MF

    Thumper Guest

    That magnet will probably disintegrate the insides.
    Thumper
    To reply drop XYZ in address

    Thumper, Nov 25, 2004