WinZip still does'nt support x64 context options

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Juan Jansen \(1015814\), Sep 1, 2005.

  1. Juan Jansen \(1015814\), Sep 1, 2005

  2. WinRAR does. :)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 1, 2005

  3. Andre Da Costa, Sep 1, 2005
  4. Juan Jansen \(1015814\)

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Sep 2, 2005
  5. Juan Jansen \(1015814\)

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Sep 2, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa, Sep 2, 2005
  7. This is because the 64 bit shell (explorer.exe) cannot load the 32 bit shell
    extensions of the program. It will work when WinZip ships a 64 bit version
    of its shell extension. All apps that depend on a shell extension have the
    same kind of pb.

    But you should get the context menu in the File Open dialog of 32 bit
    applications (not the most practical but it should work there).

    Bruno.

    Bruno Jouhier, Sep 2, 2005
  8. Juan Jansen \(1015814\)

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Ah well. I have been bugging them to ask for 64-bit support, but it seems
    they don't want to. Well, they can royally get st*ffed ;-) Especially since
    Windows supports the ZIP-format already. All my money on WinRAR now :)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Sep 2, 2005
  9. Juan Jansen \(1015814\)

    Peter Lawton Guest

    You can also get all the context menus if you start a 32bit copy of
    explorer.

    Make yourself a shortcut pointing at:-

    %windir%\syswow64\explorer.exe /separate

    All the WinZip context menus will appear in that version

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Sep 2, 2005
  10. Juan Jansen \(1015814\)

    mark Guest

    anything missing context menus - eg quickpar,quicksfx and others
    i just fire up 32bit internet explorer and c:\ in the address bar - acts
    like a 32 bit shell then
    minor inconvenience i can live with

    mark, Sep 2, 2005
  11. Andre Da Costa, Sep 2, 2005
  12. Juan Jansen \(1015814\)

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    For a fiel once in a while it's ok, but if you're reshuffling a lot of
    them, it becomes a pain in the [censored].

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Sep 2, 2005
  13. I tried running the 32 bit explorer but did not know about the /separate
    option. So, I was always getting the 64 bit explorer.

    As I was craving for TortoiseCVS on my 64 bit box, I ended up getting the
    source code from SourceForge and recompiling it in 64 bit mode, but I could
    have been up and running faster if I had known about this option.

    Thanks for the info.

    Bruno

    Bruno Jouhier, Sep 3, 2005
  14. Juan Jansen \(1015814\)

    Colin Nowell Guest

    That's a very useful tip Peter! Thanks.

    Any idea how to get it to come up in two pane view (folders on the left)? Is
    there an extra command line switch that can be used?

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Sep 3, 2005
  15. Juan Jansen \(1015814\)

    bviksoe Guest