WinXP SP2 Dangers?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by VWWall, Jul 23, 2004.

  1. VWWall

    VWWall Guest

    VWWall, Jul 23, 2004

  2. VWWall

    mark mandel Guest

    mark mandel, Jul 24, 2004

  3. VWWall

    Michael-NC Guest

    I seriously doubt that SP2 will fark-up over 50% on the computers it's
    installed on. I seriously doubt it will even be 5% once it's released.

    Michael-NC, Jul 24, 2004
  4. I suspect that the percentage will be higher-but note that that's the
    percentage of the machines *it's installed on*. IMO that speaks more to
    the sorry state of security among users than to the reliability of SP2.

    From what I've seen it's quite likely to cause havoc with AV & FW
    programs. Granted that most users don't seem to use AV or FW programs,
    but those users are also less likely to update Windows.

    Among those users who update Windows I think a somewhat higher
    percentage run AV & FW programs-and from what I've read a fairly high
    percentage of those will have problems with SP2.

    Hope I'm wrong, though.

    Calvin Crumrine, Jul 24, 2004
  5. VWWall

    Syncro Guest

    Yes, it is best to be weary. Of course, it is beta and I'd never apply it
    to a comp that I had any data on that I'd chance to lose (have plenty of
    guina pig test comps on my net to risk). Hefty sized service pack (network
    installation) at 264mbs
    If someone wants to read comments about their sp2 installations you might
    want to read:
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=xpsp2&slcid=us
    select the general topics from the left pane.

    Syncro, Jul 24, 2004