WinXP SP2 beta ... bleh!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by johns, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. johns

    johns Guest

    The best thing about my computer is PowerQuest
    DriveImage2002. No two ways about it !!!!!!!!!!!
    I got crazy today and decided to try XPSP2 beta.
    It is truly a pig. The stupidest error of all was that
    the Error Reporting Icon gave errors, and would
    not work until I enabled my .net account with MS
    ..... thereby exposing my system to "messenger"
    poop and subscription sites. Javascript was gone.
    No amount of clicking on boxes would give it back,
    and there are legit uses for javascript. I run PopUp
    Stopper, and it keeps javascript turned off unless
    I enable it with the <shift> key. Simple and useful.
    Several things I tried seemed to activate a "Backup
    or Restore" program ... out of nowhere. I canceled
    it twice. I run f-secure. SP2 can't detect that I'm
    running f-secure, so it nagged me constantly to purchase
    an anti-virus program ??? Stupid. Most irritating of
    all was that my P4 / 800fsb system seemed to run
    much slower. Noticably slower !!!! Screw that. Not
    so bothersome was the restart screen came up in
    640 x 480 minimum mode. Looks like crap. Why?
    That many errors in 30 minutes was just enough.
    I started DriveImage, and restored my system fully
    intact, and back up to a good performance level
    that I expect of XP Pro ... took about 20 minutes,
    and I'm happy again. However, I'm not kidding
    when I say, I dread the coming upgrade to SP2, and
    it will be automatic no doubt. Seems Microsofts idea
    of network security is to cripple WinXP.

    johns

    johns, Apr 2, 2004

  2. johns

    Retro Guest

    Thats the reason why its still in beta stage

    Retro, Apr 5, 2004

  3. Dude its still a beta. When the full release comes out, slipstream it
    into your original xp install and then reinstall windows from scratch
    using this slipstream (do a google search for how to slipstream). You
    are less likely to have problems that doing a straight upgrade over an
    existing install.

    As for javascript, this was gone in the sp1a release. If you want a
    jvm, go to http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html and get it
    from the source.
    Messenger popups have NOTHING to do with .net and MS Messenger. They
    have to do with your messenger sevice running which is a completely
    different animal.

    NoneOfBusiness, Apr 9, 2004