WinXP refuses to boot with new gfx card

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kyaner, Jun 2, 2006.

  1. Kyaner

    Kyaner Guest

    Hi ppl

    I recently received my new XFX 7800GS 256MB AGP and i got a bit of a
    problem.
    After i plugged in the card and booted up, all seemed normal, except
    when the pc got to the WINXP loading screen, then it looks like the
    monitor loses the connection with the card and the monitor tries to get
    a signal switching between analog and digital, then it goes on standby
    mode.
    Now this seems to be a windows related problem since the card works
    during boot and i can get into bios.
    Things i've tried
    1) Different drivers
    2) Switched to vga cable on my LCD monitor
    3) Got another CRT monitor with vga connector
    4) Different cables
    5) Unplugged all my drives besides my main drive to c if the card is
    not getting enough juice
    6) Plugged and un-plugged the card several times, while making sure
    that it sits properly on the AGP slot
    7) Messed around with every singe Bios setting i could find, from AGP
    aperture size, to video bios to AGP voltage, tried from 1.5 to 1.65
    8) Tried a windows repair, same thing, after the windows loading
    screen, it lost the signal.
    9) Tried to boot into all types of safe mode, same thing, no signal
    after loading drivers etc.
    10) My +12 carries 33A so power should not be an issue, still i tried
    different molex connectors, no change.

    I followed all the proper steps of uninstalling the old drivers used
    for my MSI NX6800, booted into safe mode, uninstalled Nvidia drivers
    from add/rem programs, manualy uninstalled the device from the device
    manager, runned driver cleaner pro. Then shut down my system, plugged
    in the new card and tried to boot up in safe mode again, but without
    any success.

    Then as a last resort i did a complete windows format (i also tried a
    repair but it didn't work) and the card worked perfectly.

    So now i either have to do a full format and spend at least a week
    setting windows back the way i want them, or not install my new card.
    If anyone knows of a way to fix this issue, please let me know.

    Regards
    John

    Kyaner, Jun 2, 2006

  2. Kyaner