    to upgrade either of these systems? I'd like to use the Internet Connection
    Sharing feature.

    Thanks to any replies.

    SGT Robo, Feb 17, 2004

  2. SGT Robo

    CB Guest

    Dell! probably the OS and rescue is on a hidden partition! Not usable on any
    other machine.
    Hidden most likely:-(
    Easy just install XP Pro. Boot from the CD and let XP do the rest, drivers
    for your hardware will in most cases be available, follow the instructions,
    upgrade to keep your software that's installed. Or let XP re-format the HDD,
    so software needs to be reinstalled, if you have them. Should be no problem
    IMO

    --
    Craven Birds

    Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
    http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

    CB, Feb 17, 2004

  3. SGT Robo

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    If they ain't broke, don't fix'em. You can still share internet connection
    with router/switch.

    Rodney Kelp, Feb 17, 2004
  4. SGT Robo

    CB Guest

    He's already bought an ugrade XP pro! So therefore advise is needed! Not
    don't fix it if it 'aint broke IMO.

    CB, Feb 17, 2004
  5. SGT Robo

    anon Guest

    I endorse that, I have 2*Win2K, 1-WinXP sharing via a router.
    If you share via a sys and it goes down, it all goes down.

    anon, Feb 17, 2004
  6. SGT Robo

    SGT Robo Guest

    yeah, hidden, as in Dell didn't send it to me, or my kids stuck it in a
    cushion somewhere.

    I know the concept of "hidden" partitions and files and whatnot.

    what I mean is the actual CD with the XP Operating System installation files
    is gone. I am pretty darn sure I didn't get one, because it is not in the
    little Dell box that came with the laptop.

    as for the other system, it runs like a champ, but I'd like to have the
    Win2k CD available somewhere.
    not too worried about that, was hoping there would be a way to use the OEM
    full version to upgrade the Home to Professional without formatting.
    Doesn't seem to wanna be agreeable.

    SGT Robo, Feb 17, 2004
  7. SGT Robo

    SGT Robo Guest

    eh?

    I have a switch. I can use a Win2k PRofessional system as a "server" and
    share the Internet connection with a WinXP Home system?

    SGT Robo, Feb 17, 2004
  8. SGT Robo

    CB Guest

    CB, Feb 17, 2004
  9. SGT Robo

    CB Guest

    Use some common sense then! Prat:-(

    CB, Feb 17, 2004
  10. SGT Robo

    SGT Robo Guest

    SGT Robo, Feb 17, 2004
  11. SGT Robo

    SGT Robo Guest

    not following here. Guess I don't have any common sense, and I definitely
    don't know what a 'prat' is, though it's obviously not a compliment. I
    suppose I aggravated you somehow? :-?

    SGT Robo, Feb 17, 2004
  12. SGT Robo

    Soup Guest

    And he means that the Win XP home 'disc' will be on the hard drive
    you will NOT have a physical c.d.(lost ;hidden under a cushion
    or otherwise) .
    Spot the or you do NOT have to do a reformat.

    YMMV

    Soup, Feb 17, 2004
  13. SGT Robo

    TT Guest

    What's happening when you try to use the OEM disk to upgrade? What
    isn't working? Which machine are you using it on? And why doesn't Dell
    send you a new recovery disk, if you can prove purchase, or let you
    download it?
    Tom

    TT, Feb 17, 2004
  14. SGT Robo

    TT Guest

    Dell should only need the number of the machine for their records to
    send you new disk, am I not correct?

    TT, Feb 17, 2004
  15. SGT Robo

    SGT Robo Guest

    yeah, I sent them that, but now they're asking for my "account information",
    and I don't have the faintest idea what they're talking about, I don't have
    any type of account with them.
    quite annoying, but I think I'm on the right track.

    SGT Robo, Feb 18, 2004
  16.
    Misa Mirkovic, Feb 21, 2004
  17. SGT Robo