    At present it stops at the Windows logs and advises me it is ok to shut-down
    but doesn't turn the computer off?

    TIA

    bernard montgomery, Sep 6, 2004

  2. bernard montgomery

    Smoker Guest

    Look for a free little app called Shutz. I imagine it would work on XP as it
    ends all the processes running in the background or whatever and will slam
    dunk your machine off in a second or two. Right click reboots your machine
    just as fast.

    Smoker, Sep 6, 2004

  3. bernard montgomery

    MJP Guest

    Go to control panel, select power options, see if APM is supported, if so
    check the box. Also check your BIOS set up with regard to power options.

    MJP

    MJP, Sep 6, 2004
  4. Doesn't work and it is not for Win xp!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    bernard montgomery, Sep 6, 2004
  5. bernard montgomery

    why? Guest

    Maybe try
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psshutdown.shtml

    You may need to check the ACPI / BIOS compatability / settings I have 2
    very similar PCs except for CPU, 1 is Win2000 and it powers off while
    the other just upgraded to XP Pro does the same thing as you mention
    above.

    I can't try it myself at the XP box is doing a download just now.

    Also look here,
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/
    http://aumha.org/

    Me

    why?, Sep 6, 2004
  6. bernard montgomery

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    I presume you have an ATX powersupply/mobo?

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 7, 2004