    of the family. I know I can use her Dell system restore disk but I don't want to do that unless I have to.

    I want to have admin privileges and not her. Any suggestions?

    Ron

    Ron, Jan 9, 2005

  2. Ron

    me Guest

    this is strictly a family issue, which is best handled within your family.
    want to do that unless I have to.

    me, Jan 9, 2005

  3. http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

    This has worked for me every time. Just "blank" the password though, don't
    try to change it. I could never get it to work if I tried to change the
    password to something else. I had to "blank" it.

    Be advised though, if any of her files are encrypted they will be deleted
    and unrecoverable.

    Patrick Michael, Jan 9, 2005
  4. Ron

    Mark Guest

    I second that motion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Mark, Jan 9, 2005
  5. Ron

    Guest Guest

    want to do that unless I have to.
    If her father gave her a PC what business is it of yours? If I were him I
    would beat you for interfering.

    Your attitude makes it more likely she and others within your family will
    distrust you.

    Guest, Jan 9, 2005
  6. Glad I could piss off someone anonymous moron on the internet.

    Patrick Michael, Jan 9, 2005
  7. Ron

    Jamco Guest

    ask her for the password, if she will not tell you, then I would suggest
    buying your own computer and putting your own password on it.

    Jamco, Jan 9, 2005
  8. Ron

    CLV3 Guest

    want to do that unless I have to.
    Why don't you respect her father's wishes? Are you some kind of control
    freak??

    CLV3, Jan 9, 2005
  9. I couldn't care less what he does with that information. It's his family
    and his business. It's incredibly easy to find how to do this on google
    (not the only tool to do it), and there are plenty of legitimate uses for
    this program.

    Patrick Michael, Jan 9, 2005
  10. Ron

    me Guest

    then let him find it on his on. this is a family issue that he should not
    have brought to the newsgroup. no wonder the world has gone to hell in a
    handbasket--everyone airing their dirty laundry in public.

    me, Jan 9, 2005
  11. Ron

    Bum Guest

    Ron -

    As you see here by the posts most people think it is wrong and unethical.
    I would suggest that you not tamper with the computer, rather have the
    mother of the child handle the situation. DO NOT put your self in the
    middle of the situation for you will loose all the way around. It
    appears to be a nasty custody fight situation, so reason with the child.

    However, the prudent course of action would be to check first with the
    local law enforcement seeing if there are laws regarding tampering with
    the computer. If the mother wants you to take over the computer, and
    there are laws being broken, purchase a computer for the child and return
    the computer to her father saying it is not acceptable gift with the
    conditions placed upon it. If no laws are being broken, and the child's
    mother insists on you taking over administration of the computer and
    purchasing a computer is not an option, and reasoning fails to work; give
    the child the option to either give you the password or have the system
    wiped clean.

    However, like I said this is a no win situation for you or your wife.
    Been there done that and lost it all.

    Bum

    Bum, Jan 9, 2005
  12. You might have a point. Maybe I would have been better off just staying out
    of it now that I've re-read the original message. The funny thing is that
    he could have just left out the backstory and asked how to recover an XP
    password, and most people probably would have helped him without question.
    There's a way to recover a password on almost any machine when you have
    physical access.

    I appreciate you explaining your concerns without resorting to namecalling.
    Unfortunately, others (myself included) couldn't overcome that in this
    thread.

    Patrick Michael, Jan 9, 2005
  13. Ron

    me Guest

    you are welcome. I personally just feel it unethical to interfere in a
    situation like this. And you are correct, had the individual simply avoided
    giving the details about why he wanted to bypass the password many
    people(myself included) would probably have helped without question. I
    personally think we should all be careful when helping people bypass admin
    passwords, unless we are absolutely certain about the reasons behind the
    request.

    me, Jan 9, 2005
  14. Ron

    Ron Guest

    So I'm suppose to let this idiot give his daughter a PC with AOL with no supervision?
    Then when some cyber stalker makes a move on her I get in trouble with child welfare!
    Not under my roof!

    Ron

    Ron, Jan 10, 2005
  15. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Thanks for the info Patrick!

    To the rest:

    I'm not a control freak, just a caring parent. I might
    just box it up and send it back to her stupid father. If her want to let her meet
    some child molester in an AOHell chat room that his business. It's just not going
    to happen under my roof!

    Giving a child an unsupervised PC is plane moronic.

    Ron

    Ron, Jan 10, 2005
  16. Ron

    Ron Guest

    I might just box it up and send it back to her father's house. (Even though he said
    her would not accept it) I'll just drop it off in his front yard and leave.

    Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Sorry to disrupt the group with the
    problem. But I doubt I'm the only person in this situation.

    Ron

    Ron, Jan 10, 2005
  17. Ron

    me Guest

    he may have given her a computer--but the parents control the
    money.........aol does no good without phone lines and internet access--and
    both cost money...think about it. Again, delving into ethical issues here.
    Talk to the girls mother, have her get the password or simply have her
    mother take the computer and get her one where you, the mother, or both
    control everything, but don't ask for ways to crack a password and gain
    admin priviliges, because it is unethical.

    as I said--this is a family issue best handled within your family. There
    could be potential criminal liabilities with damaging the property of
    another person, even that of your stepdaughter, given the fact the computer
    was given to her by her father he may be able to pursue criminal charges
    against you, depending on the laws of your area. check with your local law
    enforcement, or consult an attorney, or better yet have the mother get the
    password...........
    Asking for ways to crack a password just to get admin control because you
    don't like what your stepdaughters father gave her isn't going to make you
    any friends, because it is completely unethical, I understand your
    reasoning, but still, its unethical, because there are other ways.

    me, Jan 10, 2005
  18. While you are raising some valid points (many of which are the reasons why I
    gave you this info), I also agree with the other posters that a lot of this
    is best left unsaid. I'm happy you found my information useful, but I hope
    that you will use it wisely. It'd be best to talk things out first and only
    use the "hack" method as a last resort. That's all the more I'm going to
    say on this as it really isn't my business.

    Patrick Michael, Jan 10, 2005
  19. Ron

    me Guest

    I'm not saying your the only one in this position--and I sympathize with the
    position you are in, but there are other ways to get the password without
    resorting to cracking it and possibly making things worse, if indeed her
    father chose to try and have it prosecuted, because you would be hacking the
    computer for one, and you would also be essentially destroying or damaging
    property that did not personally belong to you. Your wife could get the
    password, you could simply deny phone access to the computer--no phone, no
    internet......or, you and your wife could agree to simply take the computer
    and replace it with an equal computer, one which you and your wife
    control---there are all sorts of ways.....again, its an issue I think best
    handled between you, your wife and stepdaughter--reasoning works wonders
    sometimes, but there are other avenues open to you in this matter if you
    will simply stop and think about it. My issue is that what you requested,
    though I understand and sympathize with why you are asking for the
    information--is unethical nonetheless.

    me, Jan 10, 2005
  20. Ron

    J Figueredo Guest

    If you can't teach your step daughter to be careful and stay away from
    people that might cause her harm in AOL or in the streets, then you need
    some serious parenting skills, most kids would listen to adults when talk
    about issues like this, but don't be a sneaky parent, and then complain that
    she doesn't respect you.

    Be upfront and face her openly.

    My .02

    Jose