WinXP Joining a Domain

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JP, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. JP

    JP Guest

    I just added several WinXP Pro boxes to a domain (previously they were
    running stand alone).

    I created the users in Active Directory and made them members of the 'User
    Group' only. I changed the log in on the workstations to the DOMAIN instead
    of the local computer.

    I now have two questions:

    1. What is the easiest way to migrate a local profile (eg. Desktop icons,
    Start Menu, Power Management settings and other personal settings) to the
    new Domain Profile (I don't want roaming profiles)?

    2. Many settings such as Power Management are restricted now for the user,
    this is OK for every-day use, but these settings are now back to default
    values and must be customized. What is the best way to make these changes if
    I dont have enough permission as just a 'User'? Logging in with a account
    with more privileges does not help since these settings are unique for each
    user.

    TIA

    JP, Feb 11, 2004

  2. JP

    Harrison Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...et/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/MngWinXP.asp

    http://tinyurl.com/2d9ss

    Harrison, Feb 11, 2004

  3. JP

    Billh Guest

    I work a small to mid size school system the tech dept is two people and I
    am part time so this may or may not be the best way to do it but this is
    what we do.

    I make an account called setup on the computer a power user then log in to
    and setup things like Internet proxies lab printers display settings home
    page what ever user prefs you want everyone on the computer to have. Then I
    system properties and go to advance and then user profiles and I copy the
    profile over to the default user under documents and settings. Now who ever
    signs on for the first time they will have all the settings of the setup
    account.

    A note the admin account has to go to explorer and make hidden file visable.

    Billh, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Billh spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    I normally check "Show all files", tell it to display all extensions, and
    to not hide all protected system files either...

    That way, you know you got everything. :)

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck_N0i, Feb 13, 2004