WinXP Install - Update

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    OK......I had a few more tries last night.

    First, I went back, wiped the disk and re-installed Win98SE in compact
    mode. That took about 15 minutes - the machine and CD are both pretty fast.

    Then I tried to do the fresh install rather than the upgrade. That went
    fine until it booted the WinXP setup and asked me what partition I wanted
    to use. Well...I wanted it to use the only partition there was - wipe it
    and do fresh install (as suggested).

    Um...no. Can't install into the Win98 partition....or at least STRONGLY
    advised not to. Not interested in a flakey result...so decided to
    re-partition and have another try.

    So created a 1GB Win98SE partition...installed 'compact' again...and then
    in the XP setup, created one big partition (56GB) out of the rest of the
    disk.

    Then told it to format NTFS (not quick)......and it got to 96% and went
    into a loop for an hour.

    Hmmm....OK...Reboot and straight back into XP setup (good!)...and
    repartition again - creating a 15GB partition....leaving the rest blank.

    That worked....and WinXP is now installed and working fine.

    steve, Dec 20, 2003

  2. steve

    steve Guest

    ....and after all this, discovered that I can now boot from the XP
    install CD....which I could not do before - despite many attempts.

    steve, Dec 20, 2003

  3. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    As per my previous comment, it seems like a HDD problem. Bad sectors maybe.
    It happens, even with relatively new HDDs.

    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2003
  4. steve

    Dumdedo Guest

    You do not need to Install WIN 98 at all.

    Dumdedo, Dec 20, 2003
  5. steve

    -[Myth]- Guest

    what if he also wants to be able to user 98? It is quite useful to have as
    some apps and games will not work properly under NT

    -[Myth]-, Dec 21, 2003
  6. steve

    Craig Shore Guest

    Actually I got mine stuck once, and no matter what I tried I couldn't
    get the HD right from the Win XP partition setup by booting off the
    WinXP CD.
    I ended up booting a Mandrake CD to wipe the HD partition, then used
    XP to set it up. It just couldn't deal with what was already there
    for some reason, but once I used Mandrake to clean off everything that
    was already there, XP was sweet.

    Craig Shore, Dec 21, 2003
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    Yeah....so it seems. In the end, I didn't include the last 3GB in the
    fional partition...and everything worked fine.

    The odd part is that with linux I had no problems using the entire drive.

    steve, Dec 21, 2003
  8. steve

    steve Guest

    I suspect I should have done this. I have seen such odd behaviour before
    from hard drives....having been playing with them for at least 15 years
    now.

    steve, Dec 21, 2003
  9. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ahh, there's your problem, linux is known to destroy HDDs. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Dec 21, 2003
  10. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    It's the cancer portion of Linux that destroys Hdd. :)

    T.N.O., Dec 21, 2003
  11. steve

    Rider Guest

    I've had dodgy installs of XP with different CD Roms. Try another cd rom if
    you can.

    Rider

    Rider, Dec 21, 2003