WinXP home / modem install problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. I am working on a XP home machine at the moment. Modem (dynalink 1456
    vqh t4) stopped working, they got me to order a new one ...

    Tried to install drivers - no show. I get an error (if the install
    doesn't abort entirely) "The specified service does not exist as an
    installed service". No drivers get installed.

    Usually the hardware detection kicks in while I am trying to install
    drivers, confusing the issue. It is alternately detected by WinXP as
    'pci modem' or 'lucent winmodem'.

    So far I have
    - removed the old modem from the registry
    - manually removed all references to (installed)modems and Lucent
    modems from the registry
    - tried the install program on the CD
    - tried the Windows hardware wizard (in auto and manual mode)
    - tried the Windows hardware wizard in enum mode
    - tried the Win2k drivers

    all with no success.

    I now have the suspicion that the original modem probably wasn't poked
    at all ...

    What makes things even worse is, it's XP home, I haven't a CD for that
    and all they have is the certificate of authenticity sticker on the
    case, no media (damn those dealers), and there is no directory with the
    cab files on their machine <sigh> otherwise I might've tried
    reinstalling XP.

    Now, HW installation is _possible_ since I lent them my old Motorola 28k
    ext as a stopgap measure and it installed itself just fine and worked
    (sorta, it loses carrier all the time because it's not robust in that
    respect, never has been) but that shows that the Windows is not so poked
    that it just can't install ANY drivers. But it won't install the Lucent
    drivers.

    So far I've blown half a day on this bloody thing that I will never get
    paid for :-(

    Any constructive advice?

    tia, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Dec 30, 2004

  2. Running any AV software during the install ? Could be a cause of the
    drivers not installing correctly. Well highly unlikely :) but you never
    know . . . .

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Running any AV software during the install ? Could be a cause of the

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Dec 30, 2004
  4. Peter Huebner

    Max Burke Guest

    Checked the bios to see how it handles the modem?

    http://www.dynalink.com.au/products/specs/1456vqh-t4_specs.htm

    http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/335.htm

    Max Burke, Dec 30, 2004
  6. Try removing the modem from the PCI slot it's in and fitting it in
    another slot - then seeing whether it's detected properly.

    Steve Marshall, Dec 30, 2004
  7. Try removing the modem from the PCI slot it's in and fitting it in
    another slot - then seeing whether it's detected properly.

    Steve Marshall, Dec 30, 2004
  8. Peter Huebner

    Thor Guest

    Steve Marshall spake of :
    My thoughts too Steve, pci slots because of how close together the pins
    are can be quite subject to dirt and dust, cleaning the modem and slot
    with a brush and alcohol might be an idea too.

    Thor, Dec 30, 2004
  10. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    Did you try to use the Windows modem drivers rather than the
    manufacturers to start with? This is what I would do:

    1) Remove the drivers in Windows
    2) Shut down and remove the modem
    3) Reboot and ensure that the modem has gone. I think that this is an
    important step.
    4) Shutdown and install the modem card.
    5) Reboot, but see if you can check the BIOS. Ensure that all serial
    ports are disabled. This is because the modem should provide a serial
    port itself.
    6) Finish the reboot. Windows should detect the modem and install a
    default driver. It may not happen immediately! I'd play games or
    something for 10 minutes or so.
    6A) If it detects the modem but can't find a driver, try feeding it
    the Dynalink driver.
    7) Ensure the modem works and then use the device manager to update
    the driver with the Dynalink ones.

    This has worked for me in the past on machines from Win95 on up! But
    modems are always tricky. Good luck!

    I must admit I'm a fan on external modem mainly because of
    installation difficulties with the internals!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 30, 2004
  12. Peter Huebner said the following on 30/12/2004 6:56 p.m.:
    Okay despite the claim from Dynalink it is a softmodem!

    This means it needs drivers to create virtual COM port before it can
    install modem drivers.

    With the modem (non working) installed remove all drivers and hardware
    detected in relation to the modem.

    Close down and remove modem

    Start up check no modem related devices are showing if so remove them
    and then run the Dynalink setup software.

    Close down add modem and restart cancel new hardware wizzard and run
    dynalink install program

    Should all run sweet after a reboot (twice to be sure)

    -- ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

    Collector»NZ, Dec 30, 2004
  14. Peter Huebner

    Thor Guest

    Collector»NZ spake of :
    Why flaming bother if it requires all that effort, go buy an external
    one. Or alternatively install an OS that works.

    Thor, Dec 30, 2004
  16. Thor said the following on 30/12/2004 10:00 p.m.:
    Actually these modems are a breeze to install so long as no other
    (soft)modem has been install prior.
    The installer software is very good in that case it just gets a bit
    stuffed up with prior installs due to XP's nasty transparent install
    when it detects reinsertion of previously installed hardware.

    -- ======================================================================

    Collector»NZ, Dec 30, 2004
  18. Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that I'd done that ...

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Dec 30, 2004
  19. Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that I'd done that ...

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Dec 30, 2004
  20. Good thought, alas ... I had turned NAV off to be sure.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Dec 30, 2004