WinXP File Permissions - Executable Files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tom, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I have a user on the network who tends to download malware and all sorts of undesirable software.
    I created a limited user account for him, but I can't set the permissions so that he can't run
    executable files (with the exception of Windows' files, of course).

    As the administrator, I think I've tried all possible combinations of allow/deny checkboxes in the
    Advanced Security options, but no matter what, I can't get it right.

    Last thing I've tried was setting security settings for folders and files independently. The only
    difference between these two sets of permissions was Traverse folder/Execute file. I allowed
    traversing for folders, but denied executing files.

    Some of the problems occurring with various combinations are:

    1. Executing files IS possible
    2. Access allowed only for the first folder the permissions were set to
    3. Not being able to paste files into accessible folders, only create files in place.

    The options "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to
    child objects," and the option "Apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this
    container only," were both checked off. (Don't know the difference between the two.)

    If anyone knows how to do it, or has any other way of doing it, it'd be great!

    Thanks a lot,
    Tom.

    Tom, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Tom

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Just tell him the next time you have to clean up his computer from sloppy
    surfing habits, you're gonna replace it with a TRS-80 Model 1. Or an
    Etch-A-Sketch. (Note: this works best if you *have* an Etch-A-Sketch still
    in the box sitting on your workbench <g>!)

    Toolman Tim, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:00:10 -0800, "Toolman Tim"

    |Just tell him the next time you have to clean up his computer from sloppy
    |surfing habits, you're gonna replace it with a TRS-80 Model 1. Or an
    |Etch-A-Sketch. (Note: this works best if you *have* an Etch-A-Sketch still
    |in the box sitting on your workbench <g>!)

    It's actually my sister (easier to refer to as "he" in the message), but
    since there's another family member using another account on this
    computer, it can't be replaced with anything at the moment.

    (I've had to reinstall Windows twice before because of her.)

    Her surfing habits I already have control over. I denied access to
    Internet Explorer so she can only use Firefox. It's all those programs
    she downloads that bother me.

    I'm too young to know what a TRS-80 computer is. Sounds old :)

    Thanks for suggesting that.

    Tom, Mar 15, 2005